Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosewoods_gw

I love my cosmos!

rosewoods
16 years ago

I just wanted to tell everyone about my success with a 3yr old packet of Cosmos seeds. I planted them willy-nilly in late June without much thought to actually seeing any growth considering the seeds' age. Imagine my surprise when they finally started to sprout! Now I really wish I would have saved that seed packet because I would love to know the variety I planted so I can plant more, more, more! Luckily I have been able to harvest a few seeds already from this beautiful flower. Mine is now about 7 FEET tall and is wonderfully lush and full with gorgeous white, purple, pink, and varigated color blooms. I'm seeing new blooms every day and check daily now for more seeds. I think this is the most exciting flower I have ever planted - and best yet it was so easy to grow! I've done nothing whatsoever to it. Just stuck the seeds in the seeds in the ground and basically forgot about it.

Does anyone know what variety I might have? Just curious. I'll be buying every packet/variety I can find from now on :)

~~Amanda

Comments (3)

• sharont
    16 years ago

I also have several varieties still growing on because of no hard frost yet!
    My favourite is the Cosmos 'double click' called that because the floret is a tube. I've been cutting a bouguet every week for a month! Not a 'usual' here in central Ontario at this time of year!
    Amanda you may never know the exact name but saved seed will give you this beautiful flower each year ( as long as the growing season is extended).

• sandysseeds007
    16 years ago

Hi rosewoods, You got me curious so I did a quick search for 7' cosmos and this came up as the closest description. Cosmos bipinnatus also known as Mexican Aster
    http://www.helium.com/tm/568892/plant-cosmosdo-goldfinches-plant

No pics at the above link, just google cosmos bipinnatus and you'll get lots of links on this lovely. Thanks for sharing and your welcome... ;)-Sandy

• gardener_maid
    16 years ago

My cosmos reseed themselves each year and come back without having to plant more. I don't think I have ever seen a cosmos that was variegated. Sounds neat.

Sponsored
Columbus Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions