Return to the Great Lakes Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
overwintering a young clematis?

Posted by Kristixx 5/MI (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 12, 05 at 3:29

My daughter potted a clematis in early July for her apartment deck. It "died" back, but recovered with new shoots. Now that it is time for frost, should she bring this plant in for winter? It is still quite small, and I've offered to plant it at my home in an area I've had luck with my own clematis.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: overwintering a young clematis?

• Posted by Pam_AA z5 Berwyn Il. (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 17, 05 at 0:48

I think I would do what you are suggesting, it would be the safest plan. I don't think Clematis do well inside, it might need a rest.

o

You might change it up to a slightly larger pot, then plant the whole thing into the ground. I have had good luck with putting potted plants in the ground then lifting them out come spring. Sometimes the place I want is not ready, or I run out of time, weather goes bad. Get the fall sales stuff so cheap I can't resist buying too much! This way is easy to over winter them. I fill the pot to the brim with dirt, level pot edge into the ground, so water doesn't pool up on the top. The larger pot will allow root growth over winter if ground is not frozen. I would cover it with a large pile of leaves to protect the crown on a special baby clematis.

o

Thanx, Pam and Goodhors. I planted the clematis in a larger pot, put it in the soil, and leveled the top as suggested. Now that it is May, the little clematis has sprung back healthy and growing with gusto. Soon, I will return it to my daughter. She will be pleased to see it now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Great Lakes Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here