Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wildcitywoman

Mums - can they be planted in 6a now?

wildcitywoman
18 years ago

16 of 'em! A gift from a tenant who brought them home from work (they change the plants there often).

I do not have room in my apartment or the apartment building for 16 pots of mums - should I 'wing it' and put them in the ground now/

Comments (3)

• jroot
    18 years ago

Carly,

A gift of 16 mums is a wonderful gift. You should be aware that some mums are hardy to our area and others are not. My wife frequently purchases mums (for the table) and then pitches them. If I am lucky I rescue them, give them a haircut, and put into the garden. There they revitalize themselves, and burst into massive fall balls of bloom. I even give them a further hair cut mid season to make them less laggy. Some of these have come back, and others have not. If you water them in well, and hill the soil around the plant, then they MIGHT make it. It is late in the season for planting mums, but if they make it, it was worthy of the effort. If they don't, then you can "chalk that one up to experience." The next few days are supposed to be warmer in the Toronto area. Tonight, it is supposed to freeze though.

Some folks hill the soil around the plant, once planted, and then cover with an inverted pot. That seems to increase the odds of survival. I just heard that one today from an English chap who fancies himself as a gardener who takes his direction from his wife. LOL. He surely has a beautiful garden.

I hope this encourages you to "save the mums".

• doniki
    18 years ago

I have planted them up until Thanksgiving and have never had a problem with them overwintering... because, I live south of Lake Erie and you can pretty much get anything to overwinter if it is covered with 2 ft. of snow. I have a love-hate relationship with the white stuff... I'd give it a shot.

• wildcitywoman
    Original Author
    18 years ago

OK, thanks - I've done it - they're all in the ground. I did take pictures but haven't downloaded them yet. I'll try to remember to come back and share them here.

Carly :-0