Return to the Great Lakes Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Keeping Mandevilla vine over the winter?

Posted by lary1047 z5 MI (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 5, 08 at 8:04

Hi everyone!!

We live in Michigan and have the most beautiful pink Mandevilla vine growing this past summer in one
of our trellis pots. Since it is becoming Fall here very quickly, we were wondering about trying to save
this plant and have it again for next summer.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to bring it inside or how to care for it?

Thanks Lary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Keeping Mandevilla vine over the winter?

• Posted by jroot 5A Ont. Canada (near (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 7, 08 at 2:17

You can indeed bring it indoors, if you have room for it in a sunny window.

Trim it back to a reasonable size, realizing that it will likely grow during the winter, although not as rapidly.

Clean it really well before bringing it inside. I have found that they are susceptible to aphids, and/or white fly. Hose it down really well; spray with an insecticide of some sort including the top of the soil; let the insecticide do its thing for a few hours; and then hose it down again. I would also let it dry in the garage before you bring it inside.

Ihope it works for you. They are a beautiful plant.

o

• Posted by raee zone 5-6 OH (My Page) on
    Wed, Nov 12, 08 at 13:15

Yes, the only times I have not succeeded is when I did not get it cleaned well enough & eventually lost it to infestation. Other years, no problem, did not even keep it in a south window. Good luck.

o

So how's the mand. doing lary?

o

I brought my mandevilla in over winter and it doing great, want to try to get some starts. also brought my gerba dasies in and have a fungus gnat problem. Any suggestions on getting rid of them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Great Lakes Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here