Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marcinont

dividing hibiscus

marcinont
18 years ago

I have two large flowering hibiscus moscheutos, one is white called blue river ll and the other is red and it is called lord baltimore.I have had them for about 4 years and they have done great.Large 10" dia. flowers until this summer the flowers were smaller but still plentyfull.I was wondering if the plant should be divided to renew it's growth.It is getting alittle big for it's location.Any help on this subject would be appreciated.

thanks marcinont

Comments (5)

• jroot
    18 years ago

Is it in a sunny area? I made a mistake and put mine in a shady area, so the plant grows tall and spindley with few blooms. Next year, I will transplant it.

Are you giving it fertilizer? I give my tropical plants a weaker than normal solution every week or so. They responds well to it. My 25 year old hibiscus trees really put on a show this year, in full sun.

• birdinthepalm
    18 years ago

I've always found that my hibiscus moscheutos tend to overmultiply over time and the clumps get too congested and the new shoots each year tend to get weaker and smaller, at which time it's good to divide them. They can be sometimes a bit touchy when replanting them and may take an extra year to get going well again, but all you do is cut downwards between the old stems in the spring looking for healthy eyes just above the roots and trying to leave as many of the often huge fleshy roots intact as possible so they can reestablish easier. Cut off or damaged roots can sometimes rot, but normally there are plenty of new roots grown to replace those.

• wildcitywoman
    18 years ago

I didn't know you could leave hibiscus in the ground in the winter - I have never tried it anyway.

I have one in a pot and would like to cut it back, and try to re-root the stems.

Any views on that one? Is that possible?

• marcinont
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The type hibisicus that I am refering to is a hardy perennial and will survive the canadian winter.I have one that is a tropical and is in bloom right now with large red flowers but I brought it indoors about 3 weeks ago and put it in a sunny window where I will keep it alive till the warmth of spring. OOH that seems so long from now.

• wildcitywoman
    18 years ago

Mmmmmmmm . . . that's the kind I've got. I brought mine in a month ago - just didn't trust the situation.

I don't know if I should cut it back and try to root the stalks or not.

I'd love to have one hibiscus on my table garden, and a few live stalks of it out in the garden.