Return to the Great Lakes Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mop head hydrangeas

Posted by marcinont 6a london (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 15, 06 at 9:49

I have a mop head hydrangea(snowball) that had a large amount of flowers this year.My question is how can I prevent the bush from flopping over? Can this be done by either prunning a certian way or doing something else.All ideas and methods would be greatly appreciated
thanks marcinont zone 6

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mop head hydrangeas

Hi Marcinont, I have the same Mop Head hydrangeas, I cut them back in late March and then I stake them as they grow. This prevents them from flopping over in heavy rains. The flowers get so big that it's impossible for them to stand on their own once they've grown....I look forward to hearing other gardeners methods..Wayne

o
RE: mop head hydrangeas

Hi Marcinont!
Neighbour has one and gave me a small piece several years ago. Now when we both thin them back we give some to others. They are all over the neighbourhood now. Quite a show. I don't do anything to mine except to cut them back sometimes as late as when the new growth starts in the spring. They're tough little beggers and so big and thick behind the tool shed that there's no room to fall over.
Jim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Great Lakes Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here