Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
compost_hugger_nancy

Storing harvest

My area is a hard freeze area and I have no garage/shed for storage!!

What shall I do with all the APPLES, cabbage, tomatoes, and garden supplies??? Only a five room home! Mudroom is one of two closest to the furnace and is also laundry room. I can't close off the vent or the pipes may freeze!! I sure miss the basement I had downstate. Never realized how much it held!

I'll be too warm for apples to properly store so they won't last as long.

Comment (1)

• pondwelr
    18 years ago

One of the reasons we gave up veggie gardening was the same lack of places to store stuff. I feel your pain. Hey, I still have a full basement, but its far too warm to act as a root cellar. Every now and then I hear about some one who thought ahead when building their new home, and had a cellar-type room dug, usually under the front or back cement stoop, and closed off with a heavy door to keep it cool. Apples are easy to can with out sugar and an aspirin.
    I used to watch my mom do that. Dont know why the aspirin.
    I am wrapping all the good tomatoes in newsprint and set them on the floor in a box in my tiny pantry. They not only ripen up just fine, they last til early Jan. As for the cabbages, well, can you buy an old frig for your garage?
    Probably every third home in this Wisconsin city has a frig in the garage to store beer (of course!) and excess procuce.
    Fall harvest is a busy time for all of us. Hope you find some storage solutions Nancy.
    Pondy

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County