Return to the Great Lakes Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When is it too cold to plant

Posted by thegermaninmichigan 5B (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 26, 06 at 10:20

I have created a wonderful lasagne bed and was wondering if it is already too cold to plant. I live in Ann Arbor and we have already had a few frost nights. I am thinking of bulbs and seeds at least, but may be also bushes, ground cover, etc.

What do you think? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Yvonne

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When is it too cold to plant

Yvonne, I live in Adrian, about 25 miles south of Ann Arbor and I'm still moving plants around, planting bulbs, etc. I don't know what kind of seeds you have in mind? You might want to try winter sowing them. If that's new to you, log onto the winter sowing forum & check out the FAQ's. Very informative and also the folks on that forum are very helpful. I took a class last fall through the city of Adrian & the instructor says he plants sometimes to Dec. as long as the ground isn't frozen. Hope some of this helps. Happy gardening.

Carol

o

Thanks Carol. Do you live in Adrian or close by. My in-laws live in Tipton and her name is also Carol! :-))

I have started a lasagne bed ontop of my grass, so ontop of the grass I have newspapers, shredded leaves and compost. Do you think that I can just put the bulbs into the "leaves & dirt"? Seeds, I am not sure yet. I will check out the winter sowing forum - have not seen that yet.

Yvonne

o

Yvonne, I live on Trenton Rd. on the west side of Adrian. Of course I know where Tipton is. I'm a retired realtor, so I'm familiar with Lenawee Co.

If you are planting in your lasagna bed now, you need to cut through the paper to put in your bulbs, plants etc. I have done some beds this way also. Last yr. I extended a border by the Lasagne method. The biggest advantage I could see was the fact that I didn't have to bust through all the sod & dispose of the sod too. It also helps to keep the weeds at bay.

Carol

o

Looks like a wonderful day today so I will plant my bulbs today. Thanks for your advice.

Yvonne

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Great Lakes Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here