Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathy_t_mi

Morning Glories and Black Eyed Susan Vine

Kathy_T_MI
18 years ago

This is the first year I planted Morning Glories, as well as the yellow black eyed susan vines. I planted ones from a nursery that were growing about a foot already. The plants were outstanding. I must have them again, and plan to have them in other areas. They need lots of room! I have done research everywhere,and cannot determine whether these are annuals and need to be pulled this fall at frost. Any help!

Comments (2)

• jroot
    18 years ago

The morning glories are indeed annuals, and prolific self seeders. You may have a lot of small plants starting up all over the place. These you can dig up, and trade. I am not 100% certain about the black eyes susan vines, but I suspect that you will have to cut them down for the winter, and replant in the spring. I would lop the top off to about 9 inches, and see what happens. If it comes up next spring then you know you have a perennial. If it dies, then you know it was an annual. Save any seeds that have come, just in case.

• sydseeds
    18 years ago

The black eyed susan vine will set seeds if you don't cut it back - it is an annual in our climate - the seeds are about the same size as the MG's and black and completely round. Scatter seeds in the spring when the ground is not frozen unlike MG where MG's will tolerate fall/winter sowing. Cheers.