Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bushelbasketoh

anchor plant under oak?

BushelBasketOH
10 years ago

Hello. I have what I consider to be a difficult site, here in Ohio (zone 6a). We removed the yews from the front of our house, and I'd like to put an anchor plant at the corner, which is on the southern end of an east-facing house. The site is shaded by an oak tree and gets dappled sun at best for most of the year, most of the site, although that southern side gets some intense sun for part of the day. I'd love to put a rhododendron (purpurum elegans) there, but now I'm worried about winter damage from morning sun. I'd prefer something evergreen and interesting. Can I manage the rhododendron, or is there a good alternative, preferably evergreen to provide interest and help buffer the other plants? I'm also planning on putting a kalmia and azaleas more toward the center of the east face, part sun (I've already ordered them). Any thoughts? Thank you.

Comment (1)

• IanW Zone 5 Ont. Can.
    10 years ago

I would try a Rhodo....you may have to apply wilt-proof spray to the leaves for winter protection from drying, but otherwise, it would be a good choice

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz