Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katgermain

What should I do with my potted, lilac seedlings over winter?

Kat Germain
11 years ago

Hello,

I'm in Toronto, Ontario.

I don't have any experience with young trees or shrubs. I received two very young lilac seedlings from my uncle this summer. There were annuals growing where I wanted to plant them, so didn't plant them at the time.

And then I forgot about them :(

So what do I do with the seedlings now? Should I bring them inside over winter and plant them in the spring? Risk planting them now? Or something else? We've got a shed I could put the pots in if they need the cold.

For any solution suggested, I'd appreciate it if you could tell me if are there any additional special things I should be doing.

Comment (1)

• jomuir
    11 years ago

if you have a spot for them, plant them now. Fall is the BEST time to plant perennials. Water them in well, they'll be fine, as long as they're in good shape when you plant them.

I'd prepare the hole, make it about twice as big as the pot the plants is in now. Enrich w/some peat moss or compost if avail. Add in some gravel if your soil is wet/slow to drain. Maybe a little slow-release fertilizer, go easy, you don't want to burn the roots.

Here is a link that might be useful: lilac planting tips from a seller