Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kgmax

earthworm infestations

kgmax
12 years ago

Yes, we have an earthworm infestation. Literally every step I take,an earthworm mound is underfoot- rain or shine. People may not realize earthworms also come out at night to block in their holes! Yes, they squirm around until finding the exact item they individually prefer to close up their holes, such as small stones, twigs, leaves, or even young blades of grass they will pull out to use for this application. Some making mountains out of worm-hills and some gathering together to make one giant one. I did the research after I witnessed it with my own shocked eyes. PROBLEM: There are SO MANY they have destroyed hundreds of dollars spent on trying to grow grass, causing big bald spots all over as well as their mound creations making bumps everywhere. IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO???

Comments (3)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

Where are you? I've never heard of or seen anything like that. Do you have some pictures?

• kgmax
    Original Author
    12 years ago

To all about the earthworms...

Yes infestation can exist. There are many sites on the subject with Canadian golf courses suffering as well.

Paul, thanks....but we do not cut our grass lower than 2 1/2 go 3" at any time and bag the clippings always. We don't like to spread weeds around and this works. I was asking more along the lines of whether clay attracts more worms or not. I think I will add organics, aerate and pray for no more rain.

Cheers!

• zuni
    12 years ago

KG, we keep running into each other! Worms only exist where there is adequate food. They'll love the compost! My guess is that your soil is compacted clay, and they are coming up for air when the ground is water-soaked. Try core-aeration when the soil dries out. This removes plugs and should make a big difference.

As for mowing lawn, leave the clipping on the soil. Weeds only spread if they have gone to seed, and that is the reason for mowing LONG but mowing OFTEN. Compost (or fertilizer) will not be needed as often since lawn essentially makes its own. If THATCH is a problem, again, you need to aerate. Thatch is DEAD grass, not grass clippings; and it too is common in compacted soils.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!