Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marcinont

caster bean plant 'wow'

marcinont
19 years ago

I grew 6 caster bean plants from seed this spring and wow what a cool plant. it is now mid oct. and they are huge .Two of them are at least ten feet tall(touching telephone lines) they have unusual seed pods and I was wondering how to get the seeds from the pods . I would love to grow them next year.The ones by the pool look quite exotic(palm like with 2 foot leaves ) very cool

Comments (10)

• lifesonebiggarden
    19 years ago

Inside the prickly pods are the seeds.They are easy to harvest and grow from seed.Try to leave the pods on as long as weather permits so they will ripen.If a frost is threatening take them off and open and let them dry,then store them in a dry cool spot 'til you are ready to seed.

• Eva_2
    19 years ago

Macrinont,
    I too have grown 'caster bean' plants. They are beautiful.The seeds are in the green pods you see, and they will turn brown when ready to open. I hope they ripen for you . I am going to send for some seeds to have and grow next spring. DH has to use the riding tractor to pull up the plant , so I'll have to be careful as to where I plant it as to not harm any lawn or other flower plants.
    I am in zone 5 and I live in northeren Indiana.
    Eva

• jroot
    19 years ago

I just chopped mine down yesterday. It had a diameter of 2.5 inches, but the frost got to it. I did harvest some seed from it, and hopefully next year, I'll have a lot more plants to trade or give away.

With this frost tonight, I had better go and rescue my Datura seeds as well.

• ladymudduck
    19 years ago

Isn't there some part of this plant that is poisonous? I thought it was the seeds.

• GardenKiwi
    19 years ago

Yep - the seeds are poisonous.

I wasn't planning on eating them.

Most of the perennials I have grown are poisonous and I have never had a problem. When you harvest the seeds be sure to keep them up and away from children and any adults who you think might want to try eating them!

Cheers - Kiwi

• GardenKiwi
    19 years ago

I just checked the seed pods that I picked last fall and left to ripen in a paper bag in the garage. They were brown and "crispy" and I got them opened up and the seeds are looking wonderful - but oh how prickly those seed pods are! Looking forward to growing more and more of the plants this year!

Cheers - Kiwi

• johneb
    17 years ago

Hi fellow Caster Bean'rs: I have been growing the 'beans' since that 'knee high' thing. And over the years I have found out on my own that, #1 water,water,water. #2 nitrogen,ie blood meal, and what we all use, Mircle Grow. These plants love sun. I start mine inside under grow lights around Easter time, let them get 4' or so, then outside they go. And religiously do the above mentioned. I have had them as high as 25' yep 25' The seeds in the pod's have never really germinated for me. They are only 2.98 a table spoon full where I shop. So I just purchase new seeds every year. This yr. they are not as big as in previous yrs. tho. Not as hot this yr. as in the past. Any question's please feel free to contact me. Please hang our flag out on 9/11 in rememberance of the souls lost. Thank You! johneb

• magnum300
    17 years ago

If you let the seeds drop and rot it will keep moles away

• phyl345
    17 years ago

really!!!??? we don't have moles, but what about rabbits, squirrels, chipmunks etc. my caster bean is 7ft tall & lots of seeds

• mgmb
    17 years ago

Does anyone have a picture of 'Carmencita' that shows the size of the plant next to some other plants? I am very excited about growing these for the 1st time, but I wonder if they will look too gigantic. I'm going to grow them with dahlia, amaranth, flowering tobacco and brazilian verbena.