Return to the Great Lakes Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
butterfly weed (seed pod harvest)?

Posted by knottyceltic S/W Ontario 6a (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 1, 05 at 18:44

How do you know when you can harvest the seeds from the seed pods on the butterfly weed? Do you have to wait till the seed pods are dry and cracking open like Milkweed does?

Also, are there male and female plants of Butterfly weed? I have 10 or 12 plants and so far only one of them has pods and it just happens that the one with the pods had very few flowers so it was quite a surprise. The plants with an abundance of flowers have no pods at all.

Barb
southern Ontario, CANADA zone 6a

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: butterfly weed (seed pod harvest)?

• Posted by Pam_AA z5 Berwyn Il. (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 3, 05 at 12:24

Just what you stated,"wait till the seed pods are dry and cracking open" will do it.
Don't have a for sure answer for your other question, I don't think there are males and females. Maybe for some reason the insects preferred the one milkweed over the others, hence it was pollinated more thoroughly. Who knows?
If you love this Asclepias, you should check out some of the other species if you haven't all ready. I grow many different ones on my property and would NEVER do without. An absolute must for a butterfly garden. In my experience, not only do they attract Monarchs and other butterflies; they are also a magnet for many other pollinators as well. When they are in full flower, I have a regular bug soap opera out there!

Here is a link that might be useful: Great Lake Gardens

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Great Lakes Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here