Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
reneeangela

Know of Community Gardens in Southeast, MI

reneeangela
19 years ago

Hi Everyone:

My husband and I live in Grosse Pointe Woods, MI and are looking for some space to plant a vegetable garden. Does anyone know of any community gardens or gardening plots we could rent in the Detroit area?

Thanks,

Renee

Comments (3)

• wildcitywoman
    19 years ago

Is that you, Renee? Cafe Poetica & Poetic Voices?

Carly :-0

• dan_j
    19 years ago

Renee,
    Southfield has a fantastic community garden on Evergreen, just south of Civic Center Drive(10 1/2 mile). I believe you have to be a senior citizen and may have to be a resident of Southfield. $25 a year. If you're willing to travel that far, you need to talk to Joe, the gentleman that runs the show. I don't have a contact # so you should call the city.
    The first time I spoke with Joe, he told me about several other cities that have community gardens. The only one that I can recall is Dearborn and I may be wrong about that. You really need to talk to Joe.
    If you're ever in the Southfield aera in the summer time you should check out the gardens. They won a blue ribbon at the State Fair for their display of veggies(they were the only ones to enter!).
    Joe is an easygoing guy and may be able to help you out. Sorry, don't know his last name.
    Hope this helps.
    Dan

• THEGARDENPOOTER
    19 years ago

Hey another thing that I have done is bought a lot from the city or the Wayne county treasurer. It is not expensive and you meet so many good people . I own one that I bought that was down the street and bare full of weeds and stuff. (Boston Edison District,gated historical community) I bought the lot for $110.00 and the taxes per year are $69.00 per year. The lot is right next door to two elderly couples who are so sweet and love the fact that I come by and talk and work . They even give their water freely , somedays I stop by and they are sitting out drinking tea or coffee and admiring the garden and eating the veggies that come out. Try the city county building and the cadillac square building 3rd floor.

The Pooter

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County