Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teengardener86

Stem Cutting Question; about grape ivy, impatiens, german ivy....

teengardener86
19 years ago

Can I root grape ivy, impatiens, german ivy and tree ivy (Fatshedera) in water? I have heard some say you can, at least w/impatiens and tree ivy. I have successfully rooted some of those plants in soil many times, but wonder *again* if they would work in water. I say "again" because I have tried impatiens, grape ivy, and tree ivy in water before w/o success. I put them in cups of unsoftened well water; once with a few drops of liquid fertilizer and once w/o, covered in foil with the poked holes for the stems-so they didn't fall underwater in the cup. I was very good about changing the water every day, at the most two, but after quite a long time nothing happened and their stems turned to mush, both times. I took varied lengths of cuttings and of the new, soft, non-woody growth. They were placed in moderate filtered light, at normal house temp. and humidity. Because I put them in water, I didn't think rooting hormone powder was needed. I was surprised the same thing happened to all of them. I thought unsoftened well water was what you were supposed to use? It worked with other plants. So would the above plants be just better off rooting in soil? Should they be covered in plastic to keep the humidity up, whether in soil or water? Thanks for any help!!!

-tg86

Comments (3)

• teengardener86
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Whoops! I posted in the wrong forum!!! Sorry!

• cantstopgardening
    19 years ago

I do impatiens all the time in softened well water. I currently have about a dozen cuttings that I took about a month or so ago, with nice long healthy white roots. I don't change the water at all, just add more when it's low. Maybe that's the difference? I use a piece of clear tape across the tops of my bottles to keep them from falling in; I don't think the aluminum foil would make a difference, though. I don't fertilize them until they are planted, and even then I hold off for a few weeks. Good luck to you :-)
    cantstop

• Fledgeling_
    18 years ago

grape ivy is only grown in hortaculture from stem cuttings

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County