Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grannymarsh

Wish List

grannymarsh
19 years ago

This season is barely over , yet, I have already started my Wish List for next year. What's on your list? My List so far: Heuchera "Green Spice" & "Magic Wand" Viburnum tomentosum shasta, Hosta "One Mans Treasure". I'm still checking out Iris, Dahlias and heucherella. I also want to plant some understory trees that will provide light shade and am looking for suggestions .

Comments (12)

• hagey
    19 years ago

I have been jotting down things I want to put on my wish list and see what I really want to add to the garden. It seems like we are running out of space. Campanula Powder Puff, Corydalis Electric Blue, Huechera Blood Red and Chinook. I have a collection of Huechera and Green Spice is one of my favorites, howevr, I do not have Magic Wand. Do you have a nursery near you that carries it? We have the hosta One Mans Treasure which is three years old now. Do you ever do trades? We go to a few plant exchanges and really come up with a few new ones each year, which always is a plus. We did plant some Red Bud trees a few years ago and it is working out real well. Betty

• Kat SE Wisconsin z5
    19 years ago

So far it's heucheras, the purplish leaf kind. I have several varieties so far and I want more! Also the colored sedum. I have Vera Jamison, Purple Emperor, Ruby Glow and Voodoo. All with red or purple coloring. Add some yellow or white flowering plants and it's beautiful.

Kat

• mgrace
    19 years ago

I am enlarging my garden this fall and have been compiling a rather lengthy Wish List. Some of them are echinacea "Mango Meadowbrite, coreopsis Creme Brulee, Persicaria Firetail, Helenium Coppelia, Amsonia hubrichtii, Cephalaria, Asters, an ornamental grass or two and some penstemons, to start!
    Granny Marsh, I see you are in Marquette. Have you been to Carp River Gardens? Fabulous, I highly recommend.

• grannymarsh
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hagey: Yes, I have done trades.
    ooo, I like Heuchera 'Chinook"
    "Mango Meadowbrite" is pretty neat looking too. Just may have to make my list a little longer.
    mgrace: Lead me to Carp River Gardens, please. Do they carry shrubs and trees?

• bkopitz
    19 years ago

Hi all, I am so glad i was told recently about this site, its so interesting to hear there are others in the U.P., who are out there,,lol,, I knew i would find some sooner or later, i am in the process of making a wish list also and oh my what you all have already makes me envious lol,,, I have just had my sons make me some raised beds (disabled)this spring, and have enjoyed the few warmish months we had getting my fingers dirty again,,,,,, did i say dirty,,oops meant pleasantly gritty lol,, hopefully when i get everything listed properly we all can do some trading, i am looking forward to it, hoepfully photos also, love to see what others have done to their yards and areas
    Happy Gardening all
    becky

• grannymarsh
    Original Author
    19 years ago

bkopitz: You're in da UP?

• mgrace
    19 years ago

Carp River Gardens is off Hwy. 41 between Marquette and Negaunee. It is a private garden that is open a few days a week during the growing season. They have extensive gardens, a waterfall, stream, ponds, and grow a variety of some unusual perennials and some shrubs and trees. I was there a year and a half ago and would go back again since they were adding new areas. I've never seen foxglove as tall as theirs! They were very inspirational! I don't think they offered any shrubs for sale but they do sell perennials. You'll have to check them out next summer.

• compost_hugger_nancy
    19 years ago

Everything is on my list! I have a new location to start all over with. There are 4.17 acres to play in (well a little less since can't plant the septic field)

Left old yard to my X and all the plants traded for or given to me over the last 28 years!

Really thinking about what I want where this time.
    There is some wild asparagus I want to replant to another area.

I will be doing a shade garden under the spruce trees. Another shade garden on each side of paths going into the woods from the edge of the sunny wildflower field and over to the natural spring to be surrounded with bog plants. Thinking also of running a dry river stone bed edged with daylilly and blue flag where the sump pump can run off into during wet season.

Clematis and roses will cover the unsightly woodshed (old bus) and the old oil tank. Let's see....maybe something climbing the archway which will go between yard and wildflower field with a path leading back to the shade garden toward the woodlands & spring.

Oh shoot....now I want to go visit the garden centers still having sales down here!!! But stuff would never make the two day trip home!!! (Ground at home bound to be frozen)

So let's see to carry out that plan I need to trade for:
    Azalia
    Viburnium
    Hosta
    Blue Flag Iris
    Delphenium
    black eye susan
    coreopsis
    cyclamen
    clematis
    oxeye daisy
    pinks
    butterfly bush
    turtle-head
    coneflower

Oh, everything.

I have some evergreen cones that have sprouted into young trees since falling. Perhaps I can trade some of them off for plants native to Michigan.

• paul_
    19 years ago

Hmmm,
    A few things I'd like to get:

Tricyrtis latifolia

red flowering clematis [probably niobe]-- the truer the red the better

blue hostas

Huechera/Huecherella -- yellow leafed and dark purple leafed[like "Obsidian"]

• woodland_gardens
    19 years ago

Katusha- 'Mochren' is an awesome deep dark burgundy foliage sedum.

Paul- IME 'Niobe' is plum-burgundy at best. Could have to do with pH, fertility, etc as I've only seen them blooming in containers at work. Try and find one blooming in a garden if you can. Also watch for xHeucherella 'Stoplight' for 2005. bigger, redder center than 'Sunspot', but still with great yellow foliage.
    Nick

• paul_
    19 years ago

Nick, what's the best/truest red clematis you've seen?
    : )

• chills71
    19 years ago

Whatever I lost over the winter is #1 on the list.

Also a few more Nanking Cherries, Hanson's bush cherries and currants. I am planning on getting a mulberry (Illinois Everbearing) as well.

I'd like an Art's Pride Orange coneflwower as well, but I have no idea where to plant it, so unless I find one for a great price I don't see it getting on my wish list.

~Chills