Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
allgr8dogs

Growing peanuts in Phoenix, Arizona

allgr8dogs
18 years ago

Hi, I would like to grow peanuts as a school project for elementary school students in Phoenix, Arizona. Does anyone have words of wisdom for me? TIA.

Comment (1)

• eleanor_rigby
    18 years ago

I have grown peanuts in my classroom. You have to be able to give them quite a bit of space. The plants get fairly large for a classroom setting. Also, are you aware of how the peanuts actually develop? The plant sends out shoots from the branches that go into the ground. The peanuts then form on the ends of these shoots. If you have a place that you can plant them outside after you get them started, I would suggest doing that.

Also, you have to buy seed peanuts. They are available from Park Seed Company. You cannot use store bought peanuts. They are not viable because they have been roasted.

One more thing to consider: I have two students in my class this year who are allergic to peanuts. Neither one has a serious allergy, but just to be on the safe side, I told my classes peanuts were not a choice for this year's projects.

If you have any other questions that I can help you with, e-mail me directly at graysgreens@hotmail.com.

Eleanor

Here is a link that might be useful: Park Seed Company

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County