Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pattio2_gw

Need advice choosing Japanese Maple

pattio2
15 years ago

My daughter wants to plant a Japanese Maple close to her house, white stucco walls, and a ESE exposure in Scarborough, Ont. She wants one that will stay relatively small and have beautiful red foliage in fall. I don't know much about them as I can't grow them here. Any suggestions as to what variety she should choose.

Comments (6)

• whynotmi
    15 years ago

There are so many Japanese Maples to choose from. Fireblood and Firegold are two that work for me in Z5. They may get too big for your daughter's needs. You might try asking in the tree forum.

best of luck

• crunchpa
    15 years ago

how tall do you want it to be. Do you want the weeping variety that stays 5 to 10 feet, or a tree that is 15 to 20 feet? Here are examples of both. The cutleaf weeping variety has a finer texture and shrublike habit. The 12 year old Bloodgood variety in the background is a medium sized tree.
    {{gwi:869404}}From FallWeb
    {{gwi:63945}}From FallWeb

• goodhors
    15 years ago

Great photos, thanks!

• Lily Benson
    15 years ago

Beautiful maples,crunchpa!Do you know the specific name of the shorter,shrublike maple?

• crunchpa
    15 years ago

The maple in question is Inaba Shidare.

• ladybug6a
    15 years ago

I love the Acer armur, it is not a big tree. In the spring there are mill.of benefisial insects.

Sponsored
Velero Deck Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structures