Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lesviolin_gw

Wisteria and Silver Lace Vines

lesviolin
16 years ago

I have one of each still in pots - I picked them up in September expecting to plant by them within a week - they are going in beside a deck which was supposed to be finished by the end of sept. Because of construction delays the deck is just now going in. I am just north of Toronto in Thornhill. Would it be to late to plant them in the ground now, if it's too late , how do I get them thru the winter? Should they come inside?

Thanks

Leslie

Comments (3)

• runningtrails
    16 years ago

I'm in Barrie and I'm still planting things now. You can plant stuff anytime the ground is not frozen, as long as you have kept them outside and they are used to the cold. I've moved things in Feb, during a warm spell before, no problem. Just make sure they are well mulched and protected for the winter and hardy in your area.

• goodhors
    16 years ago

Be sure to put a hook in to hang your pruners on the deck. Both plants grow like crazy, may need lots of attention to keep them directed the right way.

I was after my Wisteria all the time, it grew long tendrils very quickly and I wanted a tree shape. They say in articles, if you can get it going horizontally, it will bloom faster. As vine ages, you are supposed to be able to tell leaf buds and flower buds apart, so you quit pruning the flowers off by accident. Just keep whacking off the parts going the wrong way, branches sprouting in wrong places. Pruning hard at first will give it a better root system as well. Mine was over 3 inches thick in only a couple years, overwhelmed the small trellis. I had to move it and managed to kill it then.

The Silver Lace vine grows tremendously fast as well. I have seen 6ft of growth in a couple weeks on an older vine. It just covers the whole fence. I was afraid it would get overwhelming to keep contained, never bought one. Great flowering, pretty to look at.

Make sure you have good support for the vines, the growth is thick and heavy. Good luck with your little plants. They won't stay small very long!

• mollyzone5
    16 years ago

If you have any space in a garden you can just sink the pots into the ground up to the rim.They will be fine,and in the Spring just pull up the pot and you can then plant where you want.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting