Return to the Great Lakes Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
canna lily bulbs

Posted by brenleigh z5 ont (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 2, 05 at 12:46

I have a large clump of canna lilies which I am planning on lifting this weekend. I have had these for 3 years now, and they are multiplying like crazy. In the past, I would lift them out of the ground in the fall(one large clump) and store in a dark, cool room in my basement in a paper bag with some sawdust. This clump is getting quite large now though, and I would like to know how to divide it. Do I do it now after digging them up, or in the spring before re-planting? Also, how do I divide them and should the points where they were cut apart be left to dry out before storring or planting? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: canna lily bulbs

• Posted by Jroot 5A Ont. Canada (My Page) on
    Wed, Nov 2, 05 at 19:26

If they are too big to handle, you can split them into 2 groups or 3 groups. In the spring finish your splitting, put into some potting soil under lights, and see which ones come up. Those are the ones you want to transplant. If you don't split, they get too large, and tend to rot once indoors.

o

Thanks for the quick response, but there is still one thing I'm not sure about. Do I split in the fall when I dig them up, or in the spring before potting up? Also, when I split them, do I leave the raw area to harden and calous over before storing and before planting? Thanks again.

o

• Posted by Jroot 5A Ont. Canada (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 3, 05 at 17:05

You can do either fall or spring splitting. They are different from dahlia however. My cannas I prefer to split in the spring when I can see the growing eye. If they accidently split ( or on purpose), I would let the wound harden, and then add the fungicide. ....just my thoughts.

o

Excellent advice! I will plan on splitting in the spring,let harden and then plant in potting mixture and start indoors under lights. Hopefully, I will end up with many plants to share, as I have gotten many requests for some. Many thanks.

o

My Canna Lilies still have stalks, they are mixed brown and green and starting to wilt. Do I wait for them to go in the ground before digging up the bulbs?
Do I dig them up today and cut off the stalks?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Great Lakes Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here