Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brenleigh_gw

canna lily bulbs

brenleigh
18 years ago

I have a large clump of canna lilies which I am planning on lifting this weekend. I have had these for 3 years now, and they are multiplying like crazy. In the past, I would lift them out of the ground in the fall(one large clump) and store in a dark, cool room in my basement in a paper bag with some sawdust. This clump is getting quite large now though, and I would like to know how to divide it. Do I do it now after digging them up, or in the spring before re-planting? Also, how do I divide them and should the points where they were cut apart be left to dry out before storring or planting? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (5)

• jroot
    18 years ago

If they are too big to handle, you can split them into 2 groups or 3 groups. In the spring finish your splitting, put into some potting soil under lights, and see which ones come up. Those are the ones you want to transplant. If you don't split, they get too large, and tend to rot once indoors.

• brenleigh
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the quick response, but there is still one thing I'm not sure about. Do I split in the fall when I dig them up, or in the spring before potting up? Also, when I split them, do I leave the raw area to harden and calous over before storing and before planting? Thanks again.

• jroot
    18 years ago

You can do either fall or spring splitting. They are different from dahlia however. My cannas I prefer to split in the spring when I can see the growing eye. If they accidently split ( or on purpose), I would let the wound harden, and then add the fungicide. ....just my thoughts.

• brenleigh
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Excellent advice! I will plan on splitting in the spring,let harden and then plant in potting mixture and start indoors under lights. Hopefully, I will end up with many plants to share, as I have gotten many requests for some. Many thanks.

• Pelham_Manor_Cats
    18 years ago

My Canna Lilies still have stalks, they are mixed brown and green and starting to wilt. Do I wait for them to go in the ground before digging up the bulbs?
    Do I dig them up today and cut off the stalks?