Return to the Great Lakes Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Little green worms eating my roses

Posted by tarisaline 4 (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 8, 07 at 12:58

This is the third year that my roses have been defoliated! I have tried everything short of explosives and I need help. These worms range from barely visible to a half inch long and are a bright green. Anyone have any suggestions????

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Little green worms eating my roses

Are they about a cm long growing to about an inch long? If they are I had them on my roses this summer too. I don't know what they are called but they put lots of holes in leaf and flower. I hand-picked them off along with the Japanese beetles. I also happened to have rust, mildew,black spot and a lot of aphids all at the same time. I used a Safer's 3 in 1 pesticide, fungicide and (???icide) and in about two weeks the roses were very happy and very healthy. I don't know of any organic controls for the worms. Seems the season is nearly over so maybe mother nature will take care of your problem. Zone 4 has got to be cold by now.
Cheers,
Tyler.

o

I think they're called sawfly larvae, and there's probably some spray you could use (they're soft bodied so maybe insectidal soap would work?)...but I always just spend a day in spring, picking the darn things off the rosebuds & squishing them dead while muttering imprecations, lol. Works for me!

o

they sound like the same little green worms that i have on my westeria plants, they bed themselves between to leafs and feed on the leaf.. and get big and fat.. about an inch i'd say.. they are a bright green with black heads... there are also wasp and or hornets searching for these little green critters... once the bee gets ahold of it it bites it head off and eats the body... I couldn't believe this when my husband told me what they were doing until he showed me. I was swating the bees away, but now that I know what they are doing on my plants I just let the bees take care of the worms... strange as it sounds...

o

the little green worms are driving me nuts, i love roses and planted some 3 years ago , but these little green worms are eating them up i have tryed everything, from putting prosin on them to picking them off,and they still on them ,any ideals

o

Identical

Here is a link that might be useful: discussion

o

Bacillicus Thuringenus (B.T.) kills the Sawfly Larvae on Roses.I have used it for Years with great success.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Great Lakes Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here