Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michael381

jasmine in winter

michael381
15 years ago

I'm new to this forum and I have read some info on the above topic, but I'm still not clear on things. I bought a jasmine plant in the spring and had it on our deck all summer where it took full sun most of the day. It bloomed well and looked healthly with minimum watering. I want it to last over the winter and have read many different procedures. Some say expose it to cool nights in the fall.

Some say no artificial light after dark. Some say keep it away from heat sources inside the house. I'm confused!

I'm told I can keep it in the garage (insulated) in a north facing window. If I bring it inside, i'm told bright indirect light, no direct sunlight. Some say it must have direct sunlight 4 hrs a day.

Can anyone who has had a jasmine over the winter please tell me what I need to do. I lost one two years ago because I must have done something wrong. I don't want to lose this one.

Thanks in advance for any advice. M381

Comments (3)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    15 years ago

I've overwintered a jasmine for about 6-8 years now. I used to put it in a south window in our living room and it would always look a bit ragged. Perhaps there is something to the cool and no artificial light because a few years ago I started putting it in a west facing window in a room that is about 10F cooler than the rest of the house and very little artificial light and it looks much better when winter is over. I always keep the soil a bit on the dry side in winter.

tj

• michael381
    Original Author
    15 years ago

tj Thanks for your response. Right now it is the 9th of December and I have had the plant inside for a little over a month. I have seen some leave shrivel up and drop off but the plant seems unchanged other than that. I did water it a little although some say no water at all. I keep it in an east facing window where I can keep the room relatively cool, sometimes cold. I don't know if there is anything else I can do, just hope everthing works out. Thanks again.........M

• michael381
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It is now the middle of January and the Jasmine plant appears fine. One sprig has dropped all its leaves but the rest looks healthy. I have not applied much water,(hardly any), and keep the plant in indirect light. It gets some direct sun, when the sun shines, but only a little. Three more months and it should be going outside if all goes well.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville