Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lsepoinos

2010 USDA Plant Hardiness Zone Map

lsepoinos
12 years ago

I was unsure where to post...this forum seemed like the best choice.

Is it really possible that Akron, Ohio has gone from zone 5a/b to zone 7a? Most places, as far as I can tell, have gotten at least one zone warmer.

Check out the link below. If anyone else notices anything like this, let me know. However, this does not seem to be an anomaly.

For once global warming is working FOR me...

Here is a link that might be useful: 2010 USDA Plant Hardiness Zone Map

Comments (9)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

Well I'm still in 8b, but I don't know if the little 9a spot just a few miles southwest of me has always been labeled as such. I used to live just north of Columbus and it's still showing 5b for that area. I am also seeing the little 7a bubble over Akron. Interesting.

• lsepoinos
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Exactly. I find it curious that Akron is supposedly warmer than Columbus.

At least I feel safe growing zone 6 perennials now.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    12 years ago

Looks like the dot for Akron (downtown?) is all that's 7b while all else around it is a 6a or 6b. I don't know if I'd put much stock in that.

tj

• lsepoinos
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Actually, Akron's downtown is included, but it is a relatively small portion of the 7a bubble. In fact, my entire neighborhood is 7a now. (Highland Square)

• diggerb2
    12 years ago

i wouldn't believe it. i think that the new zoning is reflective of urban heat bubbles. but i'd go ahead and plant zone 6 plants and see what happens-- some may do it some may not. of course heavy clay soil plays a major factor too.
    i manage a rosemary, up against my house, but it has 6 inches of gravel underneath it.
    diggerb

• la_kitty
    12 years ago

I would think that improved data required a change in downtown Akron's zoning. I'm not too sure about global warming!

• Will1085
    12 years ago

The USDA has Actually Released its long awaited and officially revised Plant Hardiness Zone this year on about January 25th. The map also includes interactive data so that you can know the precise annual minimum temperature in winter for a given location.

• hairmetal4ever
    12 years ago

I think it includes the UHI (urban heat island) effect, buyt I don't buy anything zone 7 for Akron, or, anywhere in Ohio. In fact it seems any reference to zone 7 has disappeared when I look at Akron on that map.

When I zoom in on zip 44308 (downtown) it also says "days over 86F" as "rare" which I don't buy. I guess it depends on your definition of rare, but since 86 is only 4 degrees over the average high of 82, it's hardly 'rare'.

Just looking at Akron-Canton airport (more exurban than the city, but the closest data) the last 10 years winter minimums were:

2002: 6F
    2003: -8F
    2004: -4F
    2005: -4F
    2006: 3F
    2007: -6F
    2008: 0F
    2009: -14F
    2010: 2F
    2011: -2F

That averages out to -2.7F, so that's a mild zone 6 for sure, but the fact that it dipped to -14 in 2010, and, a few times in the 90s even colder, I'd hesitate to plant anything less hardy than a zone 6, or it won't last a decade most likely.

• Pluto1415 (6a/b, NE Ohio)
    11 years ago

I'm in Akron (North Hill) and I'm in 6b. It seems about right to me, but I've only been gardening for a few years.