Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ptmax

Bushy Tail Lit'l Rodents

ptmax
18 years ago

I spent all of the afternoon digging and cleaning cannas,bananas,calla and taros,also potato vine. I let them dry out on the patio overnight,my luck we have a thunderstorm( no rain to speak of all summer). So I look out this morning and all is well,everything in its place but wet from rain. The sun is shining and the wind is picking up and the patio is drying fast so everything looks great. My plants should dry also. All of a sudden I pass the window and can't see the potato vine tubers,or the taro bulbs. What I do see is two grey squirrels munching away like there is no tomorrow. I wish my irishsetter was still with me...he'd get them.

Comments (5)

• pitimpinai
    18 years ago

Yummy! How deeelicious. I bet that 's what they were saying to each other. I even like to munch on a freshly dug up sweet potato tuber myself. How can you blame the tree rats? Hmmm?

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I truly feel for you. They have overpopulated North America. No more predators to keep them in check, other than moving cars.

We caught 7 - 8 of them in our attic during the past month alone. Don't know how they got in. We thought all the vents had been covered with hardware cloth. I hate them!

• roadtrip
    18 years ago

Yea, these fuzzy tailed varmits cause loads of havoc here too. The neighbors have a few Black Walnut trees and they scamper accross the yard to collect the nuts.

It's kinda eerie when your working outside on a calm day and everything is quite as a mouse and you suddenly hear this loud... THUMP.. you look up and don't see anything and a few minutes later.. THACK.. now your thinking your going nutts and have to find out what that sound is. Around the yard you go and nothing in site, then it happens again.. THUMP.. and it's RIGHT behind you! Twirl around only to see a walnut rolling to a stop and look up to see another smack down with an even louder THACK. Another quick glance around to see if anyone saw you walking around the yard like a scared cat. Nope, all safe from the white coats today, back to the garden!

Here's to keeping squirrels at bay!
    Shannon

• wildcitywoman
    18 years ago

Ahhhh! Squirrels - a lot of them, even in the city. They're cute to watch, but I don't like them near me - the idea of one of them nibbling on my ankle gives me the creeps.

I'm always afraid they're going to jump me.

My cat, Skitter, puts 'em in their place.

• tropicalfreak
    18 years ago

what is hardware cloth?? where can i get some??

• dan_j
    18 years ago

Hardware cloth is a type of screen, sort of like window screen on steroids. The wires in the screen are much heavier than WS, and the holes are typically 1/4" or 1/2" square. It is also galvinized and rather stiff. Many gardners use it to sift compost. You should be able to find it at your local hardware store or lumber yard. It's been a long time since I've purchased any, so I don't recall the price.
    HTH
    Dan