Return to the Great Lakes Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fertilize geraniums??

Posted by peter4 6a MI (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 3, 06 at 23:06

A friend has decided to bring a few of her geraniums from the garden indoors for the winter. I have told her what to do when they get too leggy, but I'm not sure about fertilizing them. Should they be fertilized now or at any time this winter???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fertilize geraniums??

• Posted by jroot 5A Ont. Canada (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 4, 06 at 20:01

I suppose it depends on what you want to happen with them. Personally, I want to keep them alive, but just alive. I replant some but do NOT fertilize. Often as not, they treat me with flowers around Xmas, but don't grow too tall either. In the spring, I trim them back again, and put outside. I don't recommend fertilizing at all for most of my plants which I bring indoors, including my brugmansia and my oleander. Keep them going, but just = no fertilizer. The last thing I want is tall lanky plants ( which have to be cut down anyway.)

o

Thanks a lot, jroot. That's kind of what I thought, because I usually don't fertilize any of my house plants going into winter - they need a rest, too. My friend is all escited because this is the first time she's trying this and says they look better now in the house than they did outside all summer. She's not much of a gardener, but she tries!!!

o

• Posted by kec01 5 Chicago IL (My Page) on
    Sun, Nov 19, 06 at 6:38

Peter, What do you do when they get too leggy?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Great Lakes Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here