Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peter4_gw

Fertilize geraniums??

peter4
17 years ago

A friend has decided to bring a few of her geraniums from the garden indoors for the winter. I have told her what to do when they get too leggy, but I'm not sure about fertilizing them. Should they be fertilized now or at any time this winter???

Comments (3)

• jroot
    17 years ago

I suppose it depends on what you want to happen with them. Personally, I want to keep them alive, but just alive. I replant some but do NOT fertilize. Often as not, they treat me with flowers around Xmas, but don't grow too tall either. In the spring, I trim them back again, and put outside. I don't recommend fertilizing at all for most of my plants which I bring indoors, including my brugmansia and my oleander. Keep them going, but just = no fertilizer. The last thing I want is tall lanky plants ( which have to be cut down anyway.)

• peter4
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks a lot, jroot. That's kind of what I thought, because I usually don't fertilize any of my house plants going into winter - they need a rest, too. My friend is all escited because this is the first time she's trying this and says they look better now in the house than they did outside all summer. She's not much of a gardener, but she tries!!!

• kec01
    17 years ago

Peter, What do you do when they get too leggy?

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction