Return to the Great Lakes Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Living Christmas trees

Posted by clodog SW Ontario (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 30, 05 at 13:50

I recently bought a living Christmas tree (a 20" cedar) that has very limited roots and decorated by some cretin using the wrong lights and hot melt glue. I bought it so that it could be undecorated and not left to die at the hands of some neglectful produce department staff. I've repotted it but read that it should actually go into the garden promptly. Given that this thing doesn't have much of a root ball and we're about to plunge into some very cold temperatures around the Toronto area in the next few days, any advice as to what to do next? Is the advice to plant promptly for pines not cedars? Is planting living Christmas trees only a propos for those in more temperate zones?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Living Christmas trees

My grandpa owns a Christmas tree farm where I work.. so I should be able to help. Incidentally, I also work in the produce department of a grocery store.. we're not all neglectful! :p

Unfortunately, I don't have experience growing Cedar. But, I would imagine they are similar to most other pines. My advice: do whatever. Pines are extremely hardy trees. Unless heavily diseased or flooded, they will not die. We once had a live cut Christmas tree survive indoors with just water until St. Patrick's day! Besides, during the winter the trees are dormant anyway. The important thing is to make sure it is planted by June. That is when the real growth and nutrient action happen. So, if you happen to get some nice weather, go ahead and set it outside. The cold won't hurt it. If not, be sure to set it out in spring time.

Also, when planting, be sure to make sure all roots are pointing downwards. If pointing up, they can supposedly "J-root" and begin growing upwards, which is thought to kill the tree. On the farm we just use an old paint stir to push all roots down into the hole. Also, you could even snip the roots a bit. Pruning the roots (if not done in excess) can help encourage root growth in the Spring.

Hope this helps!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Great Lakes Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here