Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
connier_gw

Can native scottish plants grow well MI?

ConnieR
18 years ago

Recently read about the large variety of plant material to be found in the Scottish Inverewe Gardens. Many of them were brought to Inverewe from around the world by its original owners, many years ago.

Thought I might return the favor by putting one or two

Scottish natives in my small collection. Can always put

them in containers. If conservation issues arise. Assuming they will survive in my zone.

I was wondering if a list of Scottish natives is

available, somewhere online. Could someone point me in

the right direction? Some are probably already available

in North America but I just don't know their names.

Thanks for any input.

Comments (5)

• goodhors
    18 years ago

Well, the heaths and heathers will survive here in central Michigan, just need excellent drainage. Really being promoted for winter color in the garden magazines. The best ones I have seen here were in raised gravel beds, berm type areas, raised almost 2ft. This gave good drainage, didn't keep the centers, bud growth areas, damp or covered with mulch. Cold was not the problems, sitting in wet dirt killed them. Mold on green areas and root rot.

• kec01
    18 years ago

http://www.rbge.org./web/hort/scot_pl.jsp
    this is the link for the royal botanic garden in edinburgh. Keep checking the various links that connect to that page and you'll get lists of native Scottish plants. I've been lucky enough to have been to Inverewe and it's a WONDERFUL place!

• Drakens
    18 years ago

Yes, thistle does very well here. Be careful with heathers and heaths, some of them won't survive a Michigan winter.

• chills71
    18 years ago

I've killed a half a dozen heathers over the years. I did have a few that lasted a couple years, and as said above dry-er conditions seem to be hwat enabled these to survive.

I did have one that seemed to thrive, but in its third year I moved and the new owners ripped it out.

~Chills

btw Semerau's in Eastpointe has had heathers and heaths for the past couple years. Check in the spring, maybe they'll have em again.

• ConnieR
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the useful information
    and links.

Hope you and yours have
    HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!