Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
april_50

Sweet Taters in Thumb

april_50
18 years ago

Hey Thumb Veggie growers. Has anyone ever grown sweet potatoes in our area? I am in lower Thumb, just 5 miles in from lake. Grandson has taken a shine to sweet taters and wants to try growing his own. Also, where the heck would I find seed taters? Thanks in advance.

April

Comments (3)

• puzzlefan
    18 years ago

I was raised in the thumb area so I have a pretty good idea of climate. Yes you can go grow sweet potatoes. Most garden catalogs will sell you plants (slips) to start with but if you want to experiment you can try for your own plants. Remember when it was the thing to plant a sweet potato in water to see it grow. If you do it, I'd thin the sprouts to just a few strong ones, plant as early as it is save, and wait. If you buy plants you are going to be more sure of a crop for your area. The varieties are listed for days needed to harvest. The last two years, I have planted several sweet potato plants that I overwintered, having cut slips and planted them in pots for indoors.

• johnnyrazbrix
    13 years ago

We must almost be neighbors.I live in that part where your thumb on your hand turns into the palm.Thats and inside joke for we Thumbers. Yes you can grow SP. Good loose soil , all the sun possible , Some of the market taters are sprayed to prevent sprouting. I would use seed potatoes intended for that purpose.If there is any way to create a mini warmer climate it would help. Johnny from marysville

• elvis
    13 years ago

Believe it or not, I have grown SP here in northern Wisconsin. 2 out of the 3 seasons I have grown them were wildly successful. Go figure.