Return to the Gulf Coast Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Veg./herb plants that attract moths/caterpillars

Posted by JimR36 9 Houston (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 23, 12 at 11:11

First off, I'm looking to avoid increasing the population of moths/caterpillars in my garden, not increase them. It looks like I need to be better familiar with what attracts them though.

I was thinking of trying some new plants this year - mostly herbs - that are also edible. But I started to realize that they may be counterproductive. For example, I was going to plant milk thistle, but then found out that they attract sphinx moths / hornworms. I'm sure they'll come back anyway this year due to tomatoes, but maybe I can reduce the chances by being careful with the other plants.

Does anyone know about borage, lemon balm, and nasturtium, as far as helping or making matters worse? I know the first two attract bees, but I'm not sure how the three factor in with moths/caterpillars.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Veg./herb plants that attract moths/caterpillars

This seems to be one of the deadest areas of this forum. I wonder why people from the the Gulf coast states don't visit here and comment more often...

o

Jim, where are you located? Linda lives in Rockport, she is our herb expert. You might want to post your questions regarding herbs on the Gardening in Texas forum. Barbra

o

I will be going down to Rockport next weekend, if Linda has not responded by then, I will go to her house so she can post a replay. She knows everything about herbs ,caterpillers, and host plants. Barbra

o

Thanks for the compliments Barbra! I plant to attract butterflies! I love them. But if you are interested in what attracts them in order to avoid them, check out the following article that I posted on Rockport Herbies Blog. And here is some more information courtesy of The Herb Companion.

o

Thanks honeybunny2 and company. I'm around Houston, but I believe the zone and weather are quite close to those around Rockport.

Yeah, seeing what attracts them is a great tool to know what to avoid (for my approach). I've already found rosemary to be a problem. It looks like I'll need to rethink and maybe reconsider the thyme, sage, nasturtium, and oregano.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gulf Coast Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here