Return to the Gulf Coast Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
No luck with these plants in Texas

Posted by jessiep 9tex. (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 26, 07 at 12:37

Also I have tried Phygelius and they do not do well here.They have a nice bloom,but I think it is to hot here for them.I had them for 2 years and they lived through the winter,but not enough blooms like in the northwest where they are beautiful.I bought 2 at Walmart last year and they did not make it as it was so hot.That is 3 times so I am giving up on them.Jessie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: No luck with these plants in Texas

I think three time is the charm--or the curse! Usually if it does well on the west coast it won't do well here. There are exceptions--camellias being the ones that come first to my mind. I grew up in western Washington, lived in various places in western Oregon, had a couple kids go to college in California and stayed there--they have some humidity in the winter but not in the summer. They can occasionally get hot in the summer, off and on for a few months, but since it's dry it cools off at night. Can you imagine knowing you should take a jacket if you're going to be out in the evening in July and August? Taken for granted there. Makes a lot of difference for plants. I'm glad you posted about phygellius--I'd been tempted to try them. Just remember, there are lots of plants they can't grow because they can't store up enough heat in the summer to bloom or to make it through the winter even!

o
RE: No luck with these plants in Texas

While it's true that some plants will simply not grow on the coast because of lack of chill hours in winter or high summer temps, it's also possible that we need to adjust our growing conditions or work with certain cultivars or species to be successful with some plants. I just got a Phygelius and researched its culture. I ran across the link below -- the University of Florida has been testing Phygelius for commercial production and having success.

The difference is that it ceases to flower for us in the hottest months at which time it should be trimmed back, but that it can be "summered over".

There's two species of Phygelius. The U of Fl found that the "cultivars of P. x rectus seem to exhibit better heat and sun tolerance than P. aequalis."

I'll report on whether my phygelius makes it through the summer.

Monica

Here is a link that might be useful: Full report on Phygelius from U of Florida

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gulf Coast Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here