Return to the Gulf Coast Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Clumping bamboo

Posted by natal (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 14, 07 at 13:07

Is anyone here familiar with clumping bamboo? I thought all bamboo was invasive until someone on the MS/LA forum mentioned it last year. I did a quick search and it sounds ideal ... doesn't run, grows fast to provide screening, and the birds love it. I'm wondering how easy/difficult it'll be to find.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Clumping bamboo

I found this place on google:

Bamboo Gardens of Louisiana
38124 Highway 440
Mt Hermon, LA 70450
(985) 795-2300

Don't know how far from you that is.

Here is a link that might be useful: mosobamboo

o

It's a ways, but you made me realize I should have googled, lol. Looks like there are a few nurseries closer in, so I'll probably start asking locally and go from there.

Found this too ... Golden Goddess ... isn't it gorgeous!

Another thing googling turned up ... a bamboo forum here. Had no idea. Haven't read anything yet, but I added it to my bookmarks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bamboo forum

o

Isn't google great! Just have to remember to use it!

o

I bought some clumping bamboo from Bamboo Headquarters over the Internet. It is pretty and clumping, i.e. non-invasive. But is not that easy to find locally. And over the internet it is more expensive.

http://www.BambooHeadquarters.com

o

Nicole, thanks for the link. I hadn't seen that site.

o

They have a big bamboo thingy in Austin, at Zilker Park every year. Google it, you would really enjoy it. They have so many varieties, it will boggle your mind.

Don't let someone well you 'clumping' bamboo that really isn't 'clumping'.

Run your fingers and thumb up and down between the nodes on the bamboo stalk. The clumping bamboo will be smooooooth! The running bamboo will have a groove, that runs the entire length, between the nodes.

Good Luck!

Janie

Here is a link that might be useful: bamboo at Zilker Park

o

Janie, thanks for the tip!

o

Well I found Golden Goddess at Clegg's, but decided against it. I think bamboo looks better at a distance and wouldn't be ideal for where I wanted to use it.

Thanks again for the help.

o

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.I have looked at some of the links and I think its just gonna be expensive...period.Oh well, maybe I will start with less than I need an fill in as I can afford it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gulf Coast Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here