Return to the Gulf Coast Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hornbeam/Blue Beech/Musclewood/Carpinus Caroliniana

Posted by misssherry Z9aMS (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 25, 07 at 15:38

I saw some trees in the yard of a 100-year old home in Quitman, MS, last summer that had the most beautiful bark! It was blue gray, very smooth, and the leaves looked similar to elm leaves - I'm familiar with beech trees, and these were definitely not that. I thought they might be carpinus caroliniana, also known as blue beech, musclewood, and hornbeam, so I ordered two of them from Mail Order Natives in Lee, Florida, and potted them up to plant later, probably next fall. The bark on my little trees is brown, not at all like what I expected. Do hornbeams really have blue gray bark? Maybe they develop it with age?
If anybody is familiar with what our native carpinus caroliniana looks like, please let me know! :)
Sherry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hornbeam/Blue Beech/Musclewood/Carpinus Caroliniana

Hi Sherry, I'm not personally familiar (isn't it odd that a native tree that grows over a third of the U.S. isn't known by everyone?) but did find this reference:

"Small native tree or large shrub often found growing near streams. The bark is gray and smooth on older trunks and looks like the muscles on a buff arm, hence another common name "musclewood". Grows 20-30 feet." So you were correct about the older trunks having the characteristic bark.

From Google images, the mature tree does have smooth, muscled slate gray bark.

The link will give you more info about this tree than you perhaps want to know...

Monica

Here is a link that might be useful: U.S. Forest Service

o

Thanks so much for the link, Monica!
With all the new trees I've planted since the hurricane, the forestry site should come in handy. I don't know why I didn't find it when I Googled carpinus caroliniana.
Thanks again!
Sherry

o

Are you sure it's not a European Hornbeam? The picture I have in a tree book (Creative Homeowner; Complete Trees and Shrubs) looks like what you're describing.

o

"Carpinus Betulus"

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gulf Coast Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here