Return to the Gulf Coast Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gulf Coast Asparagus varieties

Posted by bradleyus 8b Gautier, MS (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 30, 12 at 20:32

Has anyone had any luck growing asparagus in the gulf coast areas? I live close to I-10. Are there varieties available that work better this area? I've never trieds asparaugus before and would appreciate any pointers. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gulf Coast Asparagus varieties

Martha Washington will grow in our area, but it hasn't been very prolific for me. I mostly use it raw in salads. I live in Panama City. Good luck.

o

I just got some "Jersey Giant" variety, which I'm going to try out. This (asparagus) will be a new crop for me as well...

o

I read that it doesn't do well in the gulf coast, the soil needs to get very cold, while it is in dormancy. I bought some too. I am planning on putting ice on top of the soil next winter, to see if that will work. Barbra

o

I called the nursery where I bought my asparagus from to ask what variety I boutht, it was in the refrig. and just said asparagus. I was told it is UC72, does really well in South Texas. They were just beautiful fleshy roots. Barbra

o

Well I just spent a week in Rockport Tx, putting in my new asparagus bed. The nurseryman told me I would not need to ice down the asparagus bed. The variety I bought does not require cold weather. I will need to add 2 inches of dirt every other week, until the bed is 8 inches deep. Thank goodness our Lowes sells broken bags half price. Barbra

o

Just got back from the coast, the asparagus bed I put in 2 weeks ago already has plants coming up. I can't believe I already have baby asparagus . I added 1 inch of soil today, I will add one inch every other week until the bed is 8 inches deep. I was told that I need to cut down the new plants the first year, and will not be able to get any asparagus until the 2nd year. Is that true? Barbra

o

• Posted by SoTX 8b/9a (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 12, 12 at 2:27

No, that is not true! Don't harvest any, but do let the ferns grow to feed next years crop. I have Martha Washington, Jersey Supreme, and Purple Passion & all do well.

o

Thanks for answering my question, my asparagus bed is full of new sprouts. I will let them grow into fern. I wish everything grew that fast. Barbra

o

I've raised asparagus for several years. The trick is not to cut the spears for eating for 2 years after planting- let it go to fern. Then trim the fern back to the ground every January for the new spears to come up. Good Luck

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gulf Coast Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here