Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
honeybunny2_gw

What fruit trees do best in coastal Texas

honeybunny2 Fox
17 years ago

I have planted 3 diffrent peach trees, 2 diffrent lemon trees, two plum trees, one orange, and one pear tree. I do not know what I am doing wrong, but only the pear tree has survived. I do extensive reading on what trees to buy for our area. They start off great, but in about 9 months, I find a dead tree when I go down. I just can't figure it out. Could it be the salt in the soil? I do add a 40 lb bag of top soil when I plant a tree, and a bag of mulch, but thats about it. I have a sprinker system that waters every other day, so I know they get water. Barbra,

Comments (30)

• alabamatreehugger 8b SW Alabama
    17 years ago

I posted a link to a website but I put it in your vine thread by accident. Is there not an edit feature on this website?

• bjs496
    17 years ago

Have you checked for root-knot nematodes?

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    17 years ago

We only go there once every 2 to 3 weeks, buy the time I get there, the tree is completely dead, no roots left, except for the main roots that are completely dead. When I leave the tree is beautiful full of blooms, and then there is not even a leaf left on the tree, my husband thinks it may be cut ants. I only have this problem with fruit trees. I have ordered 30 thousand beneficial nematodes, to put in the yard in April, maybe they will fix whatever the problem is. Next year I will try again, any suggestions as to what lemon tree to start with. If someone can tell me how to start a tree, from a lemon tree cutting, I will try this year. My cousin who lives down the road, has a hugh lemon tree, she bought her home and it was already there. The lemons are large enough to look like oranges, not very pretty on the outside, but the inside is full of wonderful juice. Can you start lemon trees, from cuttings? Barbra

• nomad_no_more
    17 years ago

Barbra, please call your local Texas Cooperative Extension Office. If I'm reading your profile correctly, you're in Aransas County. The Extension Office info is:
    611 East Mimosa
    Rockport, TX 78382
    Phone: 361-790-0103

They will have a list of recommended fruit and citrus trees for your specific area based on chill hours, growing conditions, soil type, rootstock, heat tolerance etc.

Either the Master Gardener program for Aransas (help me out here Linda Collins if you're reading this) or the Extension agent will be able to help you with the growing problems you're having.

It's too complicated an issue to try to resolve on the forum. You really need the pros at the Extension Office.

Monica

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Monica, I just got an email from Linda on January 24th, that the master gardeners in Rockport are having an herb festival on 4-7th, I will ask that question when I go, thanks. Barbra,

• ltcollins1949
    17 years ago

Hey Monica,

Yes, I'm here.

Barbra,

OK, the Master Gardeners are having our spring plant sale on March 17, 2007, and the Rockport Herb & Rose Study Group is having the Third Annual Rockport Herb Festival on April 7, 2007.

So you should be able to get some really great plants at either sale. Also, I'll try to get you some of the flyers that they keep down at Green Acres, our extension office.

Linda

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Linda, at the spring plant sale will there be any fruit trees for sale? I drove by Wal-Mart to see if they had any fruit trees outside, and they did not. Barbra,

• ltcollins1949
    17 years ago

We are discussing which trees to get for the sale. And if we do get some, which ones are you looking for? I can take a pre-order for you if you want.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Linda, I really want a lemon tree, something that will produce juicy lemons. Please hold it for me. I will be down the week of 3-10-07 ( spring break) I already have a pear tree, and I think maybe this year it might produce a pear. I have given up on the peach and plum trees. Barbra,

• viki80
    17 years ago

I'm a newbie for the forum and I have a question re: the 3rd annual herb sale hosted by the Rockport Herb and Rose Study group(4April 2007) and the Master gardeners spring plant sale (17March 2007). Where are these two events being held? Thanks in advance for the info.!

• ltcollins1949
    17 years ago

Viki,

You don't say where you live, but I live in Rockport, Texas, and the two events that I mention are held here in Rockport.

Like I stated above, the MG Plant Sale will be held March 17, from 9 until 1 at our demonstration gardens, 611 E. Mimosa @ Pearl Street, in Rockport, across the street from the library. Aransas County Extension Office

The Third Rockport Annual Herb Festival will be held April 7, 2007 from 9 until 3 at the Rockport-Fulton High School Commons, 1801 Omohundro, Rockport, Texas. 2007 Rockport Herb Festival

Linda

• viki80
    17 years ago

Linda,
    Thank you so much for the info. regarding the plant sales in Rockport. I live in Refugio Co., half way between Bayside and Woodsboro.
    Grew up here but being a naval officer's wife, I was away for a quite a long time.
    Can't wait to see the plants at the sales!
    viki

• ltcollins1949
    17 years ago

Viki,

Looking forward to meeting you at the events. You are close enough that it won' take you long to get here. I live on Copano Bay, so I can look to my NE and see the lights of Bayside.

Linda

• ltcollins1949
    17 years ago

Sorry about that, I meant to my NW to see Bayside.

• johnhc
    17 years ago

What is the name of the best lemon tree? If it grows in Rockport, I know it will grow in Houston. Thanks

• jeep461
    17 years ago

Meyer improved, Mars orange or the Valencia for oranges.

• surfbreeze
    17 years ago

Myer is the best as jeep461 mentioned above. I live here just outside of Jonescreek (close to Freeport) about 3 miles from the beach. I made several cuttings of my original Myer which have survived on their own roots for a number of years and they are now huge and prolific shrubs as far as production. Also grew from seed, Ponderosa and have huge fruitful shrubs from those as well, though as seedlings they may not be genetically identical to the shrub I got them from, but are huge, juicy nice lemons; I like the Satsuma orange the best but there are others that do well here also.

• ltcollins1949
    17 years ago

Barbra,

Here is a list of citrus trees that are recommended for south Texas.

• scottamuss
    17 years ago

What rootstock were your trees on?

Where did you buy these trees?

Have you had the soil tested?

Have you tested for proper drainage?

AFAIK, you shouldn't amend the soil when you plant the tree. You should put 1-2" of mulch on top (not touching the trunk) though. If you dig a big hole and fill it with nice soil it will create a bowl for water to sit in and rot the roots off. Especially if you have gumbo clay soil. The trees should be able to survive in your native soil. The hole should be 2" shorter than the soil level in the pot or just deep enought to accomodate the bare roots. It should be at least twice as wide. The wider the better.

Watering every other day could be a problem. My understanding is after the first week or 2 you should give them one really good soaking a week. 2 if it's really hot and dry. check the water req for each tree. They are not all the same.

Just some thoughts. Please call your Extension Office though. That's why they are there.

Can you start lemon trees, from cuttings?
    Absolutely. Read up in the AHS book on propagation for suggestions. Meyer lemons are actually pretty easy to do.

Here is a link that might be useful: urbanharvest

• texas_lawn_ranger
    17 years ago

Hi everybody,

I came across this topic and you provided some good answers to the fruit tree questions I have always had. I live in the Odem-Edroy-Sinton area of the Texas Gulf coast.
    I've tried growing peach, orange, and lemon trees, but they alwyas die. I'm looking for fruit trees to grow in my five acre homestead. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

• ltcollins1949
    17 years ago

You are in Sinton, San Patricio County, so I would suggest that you contact your San Pat Extension Agent or call the Aransas/San Pat Master Gardeners at the Aransas County Extension Office in Rockport. The number is 361-790-0103. They have lots of information at the office. BTW, we are having our MG Spring Plant Sale March 17 in Rockport. At this time, we are in the process of trying to locate citrus trees to sell. Call the above telephone number for more information.

• jeep461
    17 years ago

Sinton, you might not be able to grow oranges. The 30 miles fron the coast means you freeze a lot more. The lemons should work. I have researched and physically seen these growing in multiple coastal areas. They do survive and thrive here. They are Meyer improved for lemons, Mars brand or Valencia for oranges. Valencia has seeds and is taller.

The MG should have some good info and their sale. I will be there. It seems citus is a little hard to find this year. I had to pay premium prices but I already have lemons that are ripe and have oranges on the way. The peaches should be easy to grow because they tolerate freezing temps. I have not researched them or own any but may real soon.

Jim

• lindseyrose
    17 years ago

I live in NW Harris County (I consider our broad area "gulf coast" which is why I'm interested in this forum, but I actually live on the brink of the Texas prairie) and there are at least 3 neighbors in my subdivision who grow outstanding (looking) orange trees!! They are very tall, though. I have noticed that the fruits at the tops of their trees have not been harvested (you can see them over 10 foot privacy walls). I'm pretty surprised that those trees are thriving here because we do have cooler weather than Houston downtown or areas closer to the coast. However, I'm guessing these individuals did their research and got very hardy, appropriate orange species for this part of Texas!

• sowandsew
    17 years ago

When I lived in Corpus Christi almost everyone had a white-fleshed small peach called a "honey Peach". They were really easy to grow from cuttings and made alot of fruit very quickly. I also had grapefruit and mandarin orange trees there and loquats out the whazoo. My avocado tree never bore fruit but then I never fertilized it either. Actually I never fertilized any of the fruit trees and got lots of grapefruit & mandarine oranges anyway. I was not very plant knowledgeable then.

• omagrau
    17 years ago

I am very interested in fruit trees also and will make a point of getting to Rockport on St Pats'Day for the gardener's sale- Linda-if you can take orders for a lemon; a lime; a grapefruit and an orange that you would recommend for Port Aransas- we are about a block from the ocean- our soil appears to be all sand. I have seen lemon and orange trees in others yards here though- so I know that some do grow. I am a novice to gardening here (from MN) so a "here is how you do it" recommendation for this area for planting trees would be very much appreciated. We get quite a breeze off the ocean also at times- if that makes a difference.
    thanks all you seasoned Texas gardeners.

• aelliott6
    17 years ago

My family has a beach house in Magnolia Beach (near Port Lavaca) and I'm looking for a fruit tree that will both thrive, and not break the bank. Ideally we'd go for something citrus, suggestions?

• ltcollins1949
    17 years ago

I just came back from Green Acres, our Master Gardeners demo gardens. We are set up for our big spring plant sale for Saturday from 9 till 1. We had some really great looking plants, including 57 flats of herbs just delivered today looking great and smelling even better. We also have citrus, orange, grapefruit, lemon and lime trees. If you are interested in them, I will suggest that you get there before the gates open. People start lining up around 8 and wait until we open the gates and then they rush in. And with the weather looking great, we are hoping for a great sale.

See you all there!

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I went to Green Acres to get my lemon tree, it is a "Valley" lemon tree, this is one of the best trees for our area, and it was a bargin. They had plumeria cuttings for $5, you could make 8 tall plants out of 1 cutting, they were hugh. What great deals on plants, my husband got a 15 gallon established rubber tree with beautiful plants all around it for $10, it is really nice. Jim I did not see you there, but we did not stay very long. My husband went to get his herbs, and I went to the shade plants, picking up a few plants along the way. The citrus trees were beautiful, and went really fast.
    Barbra,

• francine43
    13 years ago

In February I bought two peach trees at Houston Garden Center. They were just sticks at the time. I asked the worker which were best for Houston area he told me what to get had the name Texas attached to name. Anyway I am shocked that last month I got at least a dozen small and medium peaches from my little trees there are still three ripening on one of them. I did not think it was possible to get peaches the first year of planting? Any answers please I hope they do twice as good next year.

• jstevemartin_earthlink_net
    12 years ago

do you have any questions and responces newer than 2007

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?