Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
honeybunny2_gw

Information if you are going to buy dayliles.

honeybunny2 Fox
17 years ago

I love dayliles and have been ordering them from years thru the internet. I ordered from South Carolina, Georgia, and Alabama farms. Last year I orderd from Maryott's in California. They delivered my dayliles October, and by Thanksving I had the most beautiful flowers, and they are still blooming, I have never had dayliles like this. I cannot believe how they love it down there. When they deliverd the plants they cut the roots, something I have never had done before, maybe this is the secret, I do not know, but this year, I will order from them again. I will also try some farms in Florida. Barbra,

Comments (12)

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I have been ordering daylilies since 1996. Pat, at Patrons Gardens in Georgia has always, mailed my plants to me in January, so I have great plants in Texas by April. Last year Pat started doing the auction, and this year she did not put out a catalog. Yesterday, I mailed off an order to Ridaught Daylily Farm in Florida, I will let you know how those plants do. I can't wait until October to order from Maryott's again. Barbra,

• pieohmy
    17 years ago

Can you tell me the name of the daylilies you got from Maryott's? I'm a daylily junkie myself and usually get them from local sellers but would love some that bloom so late in the year.

Just can beat daylilies, can you? They rarely have problems and reproduce!

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The ones I remember are "Forbidden Fantasy",and "Hillbilly Heart", only because I took pictures, and remember these two had buds, there were more, but I did not look at the name tags, I looked at those because they were two of my gift plants from my order. I still cannot believe all the bonus plants I got. I think I got more in bonus plants that my total order. Next week they should post their 2007 price list, the prices should be lower. I had really good luck with" Hidden Riches" ,"Sabrine Baur" and "Classic Romance" these were $10 or $12 each, but they were not blooming last week. When I go down I will write the names of the ones blooming and try and post a picture of them, so you can see. Barbra,

• abitodd
    17 years ago

Hello all,

Well I grow about 1500 differnt daylilies as well as hybridize. The real key to getting your plants to do well is cut the tops and bottoms off to about 2-3 inches of the crown. If you throw a handfull of Epsom Salts in the hole just before you plant they will come back really green and some seem to never know they have been dug and moved. I have just started a trade forum for Spring Daylily trades if anyone is interested.

abitodd

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I have been putting coffee grounds around my plants and they just love it, they were still blooming 2 weeks ago. We had a freeze yesterday, for several hours, so I guess I will find out when we go down, just how much damage I have in my gardens. Barbra,

• pieohmy
    17 years ago

Freezes never seem to affect my daylillies. Even the foilage stays around after a freeze. Mine have never bloomed during cold weather though. I bought all of mine from local growers so that could be the difference.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm going down this weekend so I will check to see if mine are still blooming. I have one still at home in a 5 gallon pot, I am not sure if I want to plant it or keep it for a gift for our plant exchange in San Antonio. It is called "Nector of the Nile", it is in a 5 gallon pot and is full of blooms, but has not bloomed yet, we have had 2 mornings last week with weather in the 20's. I have never had dayliles blooming this late before. I can't wait until Maryott's post their 2007 list. They said it would be 2 weeks, and then in 2 weeks posted that it is not ready yet. I check every day.
    Barbra,

• beachplant
    17 years ago

They grow much better on the mainland than here on the island. Most of them don't seem to like our humidity or the salt or I don't know what they don't like. But they seem to like the mainland much, much better than the island. There should be a couple of sales coming up. Paynes in the grass has a couple of open garden days & the Houston area daylily society has their sale in April I think.
    Tally HO!

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I took pictures of my daylilies that were blooming last week, but cannot get the disk to copy into the photobucket. I will see if my husband will do it when he gets back home. I can't wait to show you the pictures of the daylilies in bloom, Sabine Baur looked so pretty in the picture, she was only $10, they still have not posted their 2007 price list. I am checking every day. Barbra,

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Maryott's just finished posting their 2007 price list, I just made my selections, and will call my order in tomorrow, I do not want them mailed until October, I had such good luck with my order last year. Barbra.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I called in my order and Mr Maryott told me to check out the collections. What a deal you get 6 daylilies prices from anywhere from $115 to $134 for $80, plus you wil get bonus plants. You cannot beat this price. I placed my order, and will receive it in October, Mr Maryott told me that the folks in the coastal zones, need to plant their plants in the fall, and not in the heated summer to get best results.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I forgot to mention that under the Maryott's Collections you can also get 24 double fans for $100, 12 double fans for $65, or 6 double fans for $40, I was just intersted in collection I posted before, since I have most of the other daylile listed in the other collections, you cannot beat these prices. You need to look at these plants, they are beautiful. Barbra,

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County