Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sdogwood

Japanease magnolia

sdogwood
17 years ago

I'm so glad that we have our own board!

Any recommendations for the best Japanese magnolia ?

I live in Lake Charles, La. and will plant this tree in memory of a loved one.

What is growing in your area? thanks in advance.

Comments (11)

• giverny4me
    17 years ago

Hi Sdogwood! Hmmmmmmm. Mine is japanese magnolia de "Wal Mart", lol. Planted it spring last year, had flowers, beautiful. Followed standard tree planting ritual. (see tree forum) Then put newspapers down and lots of pine straw on top of that, (my gardening objective is to remove all evil grass eventually) about 4 ft. out so I would remember not to mow too close. Heavy slow-soaked once a week during few dry spells, has grown 2 feet since last March. Has buds on it already and several in my neighborhood here in zone 8 are really budded out and starting to bloom! Hope they don't freeze.

As far as what is growing here I have carolina jessamine in bloom...pretty yellow flowers. How about you???/Susan/ Giverny

• greenelbows1
    17 years ago

I've been beating myself over the head since I first saw this--I used to know a little bit about magnolias. Think maybe I belonged to a magnolia society, and should have a book or some journals or something. Can't find 'em. Can't find my brain. Finally remembered that Durio's Louisiana Nursery in Opelousa has a lot of magnolias, but their website is down. The thing with the ones you get at wallyworld etc. is they are seed-grown and you may get something really nice or you may get something that has two or three flowers of a washed-out color that makes you wish you'd saved your money--and of course everything in between. If you can find named ones it means--usually!--that someone has tested them for clear flower colors, good bloom count--stuff like that. I remember one I liked a lot that was extra dark, almost maroon. One I think was white and bloomed later than most others so it didn't get damaged by late frost. I've seen them starting to bloom already here in Lafayette. Looks like a good year for them. (I ran out of room and put them out of my mind, or I might remember more!)

• lac1361
    17 years ago

sdogwood,

I'm in Lake Charles also. Mine is of the medium pink variety and just starting to open. I would visit Greengate and speak with Julien Dondis. He would know about the different varieties. If I had it to do over, I would plant the one that is deep purple.

Steve

• giverny4me
    17 years ago

mine is a deep pink...I will enjoy it till the next hurricane takes it out :) /(why I bought it at WM)

• greenelbows1
    17 years ago

Hope I didn't sound like I was putting down people who buy at WM or other such places. Especially if you get them in bloom you can find some real winners, and preferring not to lose expensive plants in hurricanes is only sensible!

• giverny4me
    17 years ago

no offense taken here, I like to hear about different nurseries/vendors/roadside stands,lol. .../Susan/giverny

• vancleaveterry
    17 years ago

Hello... How well do Japanese magnolias do in hurricanes? Salt water killed the small ones I had in Ocean Springs but since I am moving a few miles north my concern now is with wind damage.

• littlenell
    17 years ago

Mine blew over in Katrina. It was taller than my raised one-story house. It didn't matter though because the flood water killed every one in the area. It had been through high winds before, but not that high.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    17 years ago

Hey, I've been to a few Wal-Marts in Florida, you would not believe the quality of plants those folks get, compaired to what we see. If I could get plants here like that, I would be in plant heaven. Barbra,

• kennydd-3_msn_com
    17 years ago

Hi, does anyone know how hardy/cold tolerant these plants are? Thanks, Kenny

• lac1361
    17 years ago

Kenny,

Reportedly hardy to zone 5.

Steve

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor