Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amyinms

new in Long Beach MS

amyinms
17 years ago

We just moved here to LB in Nov. I am curious to know what grows well here. I put in some roses that I brought with us and they are doing fine but there is a lot of yard to play with as soon as we get all its quirks fixed lol. We are in house 3 blocks from the beach so the drainage is a mess there are stumps to grind, a tree to take out and the pieces of the sidewalk are at an interesting angle. Amazing what water can do. I also have a plot in the Biloxi community garden and I have no idea what types of veggies grow well here in the early season so any advice anyone has will be greatly appreciated! Also if someone can tell me what zone this is I would love it!

Thanks

Amy

Comments (4)

• MissSherry
    17 years ago

Amy, they changed the zone map so that the MS Gulf Coast is squarely in Zone 9. I'm just north of Wiggins, which is on the border between Zones 8 and 9, but since it hasn't gotten any lower than about 23 degrees in quite a few years, I'm calling myself Zone 9a - if it gets colder, I'll be Zone 8B. Basically, they changed the Zone map back to what it was before the 1980's, when they changed it to reflect some freakishly cold weather in the 1970's.
    I lived in Gulfport for 30 years, most of that time being in Bayou View, on a big lot that was low and wet. I used raised beds for my vegetable garden - when I planted tomatoes in the ground, they'd die after a big rain and the water sat. You can grow just about any type of vegetable you want to grow - if you like potatoes and sweet peas, it's about time to plant them. If you don't have good drainage, then raised beds would be the answer.
    It's best to stick with the old tea and china roses - modern hybrid teas succumb to black spot and die. There used to be a man who lived close to the airport/golf course who grew hybrid teas, but he wore something that looked like a space suit when he (regularly) sprayed his roses.
    Azaleas grow beautifully on the coast - I had some huge ones, Formosa and Mrs. C C Gerbing, but they're all easy to grow.
    I used to shop in Long Beach when I lived in west Gulfport, close to the beach, which was back when my children were babies. The house we lived in was so badly damaged it couldn't be saved and was razed - how sad!
    Sherry

• amyinms
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the info Sherry I really appreciate it! I do have a few hybrid teas so I wont be wearing a space suit but I will keep an eye out for it

That is sad about your house! We looked at several houses in Bayou View but ended up down here. I cant wait to start on the yard as soon as we get the drainage fixed. I know as soon as I put some raised beds in dh would say I've got someone to do the yard tomorrow lol

Thanks again
    Amy in MS

• giverny4me
    17 years ago

Amy arrrghhhhhhhhh! STUMPS! We had over a dozen stumps to grind out after Ivan here. I feel for you! I sent you an email re: seeds, happy to send you some for SASE. Mostly flowers/vines and 2 kinds of crape myrtle should do o.k. for you .....Susan/giverny

• wodka
    16 years ago

Amy we lived in Long Beach near the Pass Christian City limits, and lost our house to Katrina. (Not telling that to depress you.) I miss my yard so much - sounds like bragging, but my neighbors told me that we had the prettiest yard on the street. The list is probably too long, but I'll give you and idea what bloomed well:

Crape myrtles ("Natchez")
    Agapanthus (Lily of the Nile)
    Indian Hawthorne (shrubs)
    Sago palms
    Ferns
    Yellow shrimp plants (absolutely gorgeous in the heat of the summer)
    Mexican Petunia (purple flowering shrub, tends to be invasive)
    Grey juniper
    Sweet olive tree
    Camellias (both sasanqua and japonica)
    Hidden ginger
    Plumbago
    Confederate jasmine
    Daylilies
    Zinnias
    Periwinkle/vinca
    Impatiens
    Dragon wing begonias
    Verbena
    Petunias
    Bouganvillea (sp?)
    Mandevilla (sp?)

You've probably already found this out, but Beatline Nursery in Long Beach has some of the most beautiful flowers and shrubs and are the nicest people. We are rebuilding in Pass Christian and I can't wait to be able to get my hands in the dirt again!

Good luck!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!