Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nomad_no_more

Let's Try Again -- Iochroma grandiflora

nomad_no_more
17 years ago

Thanks, Sherry, for letting me know my pix wouldn't take. Turned out Yahoo!Photos doesn't allow direct links.

I don't think it's an Iochroma cyanea hybrid. The trumpets flare out considerably and they appear longer. The closest I've come up with is Iochroma grandiflora. Unless it's something totally different...

I didn't get any response from Name that Plant forum.

What do you all think? If it is Iochroma grandiflora, is anyone growing it?

Thanks,

Monica

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (7)

• Jessiep
    17 years ago

It looks like Iochroma to me,but there is also a shrub from Australia that looks something like that.I ordered some seeds and tried to grow it,but had no luck.Can't remember the name.I have tried so many things that I saw and liked over the years.Take a cutting and root it and see what you can do.That is if it is near you.Good luck Jessie

• little_dani
    17 years ago

I don't know what it is, but I want that! How do you propagate it?

Janie

• nomad_no_more
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Alas, alas, Jessie, the photo is at least 15 years old, from Hobart, Tasmania, Australia in the garden of a family friend who has regrettably passed on -- no chance of a cutting. Might you have tried to start the plant called Australian Acnistus? It's Iochroma australe now and commonly grown in Australia although it's from South America like the other Iochromas. It has smaller flowers than grandiflora.

From what I've read, Iochromas are closely related to Brugmansia, but touchy to propagate, either by cuttings or seeds. All the sites I've checked suggest pruning to maintain a compact shrub, but I think my Australian friend let it become rangy so it would interweave with the rose. Culture is filtered sun (here in the U.S.), moist soil, may die back with frost.

From the size of the flower and the flare of the trumpet, I'm going to assume it's Iochroma grandiflora. And I'm going to order one (or three) today before it's sold out! Our Master Gardener display garden needs one too. Janie, check the link below for the only U.S. nursery source I've found so far. I've read that it's occasionally offered on ebay as well. It hasn't shown up on the Brug forum exchange. Of course, if mine takes, I'll be glad to share.

Monica, a plantaholic

Here is a link that might be useful: Kartuz Greenhouse

• MissSherry
    17 years ago

What a gorgeous plant, Monica - I don't blame you for ordering it! I agree that it's iochroma grandiflora.
    I bet hummingbirds will love those tubular blooms!
    Sherry

• Jessiep
    17 years ago

Kartuz is wher I ordered mine from and they are very nice to do business with.I will try to find the name of the plant from Australia,it was to be larger bloom than the Iochroma.Jessie

• Jessiep
    17 years ago

Yes that is it.They did not have any plants when I tried the seeds which I ordered.Where do you live on the gulf coast?If you live anywhere near Houston, and go to plant swaps I may know your face but not your name.I have been ill and have not been in a couple of years.Jessie

• Jessiep
    17 years ago

I sure hope the Iochromas grow and bloom for you,that is a big mystery to me about mine not blooming.Please let me know how yours do and what kind of soil they are in.I really have great soil here,but no luck with them.I haven't found anyone else who grows them in the same area of Texas.Thanks Jessie

Sponsored