Return to the Gulf Coast Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
where to plant seedless grapes

Posted by honeybunny2 Z9TX (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 27, 12 at 9:27

I went to Lowes this morning they have all their $6.99 seedless red or green grapes marked down to $2, I could not resist. I bought 2 green ones, they had thick stalks full of leaves. Does anyone grow grapes at the gulf coast? If so, where should I plant them, and what type of soil? People were buying as many as 20 plus diffrent plants. Since I know all the diffrent berrry plants need raised beds at the coast, I stayed away from them. Barbra

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: where to plant seedless grapes

We planted a Monukka Grape last March in a sunny spot at the end of our poolside patio in Bayview, Texas. So far it hasn't grown much or produced fruit. Our soil is a well-drained silty clay loam so we didn't amend it any when we planted the vine. I know our neighbors have successfully grown seedless grapes of an unknown variety.

Ty

o

They should be in full sun, (at least 6 hours of direct light) for best fruit production. Less sun means fewer grapes.
When I lived in Michigan, I dug huge holes for my grape vines and filled them back in with a mixture of roughly 3 parts bagged topsoil, 1-2 parts sphagnum peat moss and about 1 part composted manure. (all available @ Home Depot) Then I mixed a root stimulator (or Miracle Gro will do.) into buckets of water, poured it in the holes, stirred it all up and planted the vines in it.
They grew like crazy, much faster than my friend's grapes who didn't amend his soil like I did. They also bore fruit years before his did.
I planted white, red and concord grapes at the base of a pergola that covered our deck. It made beautiful dappled shade all summer and even kept us dry under light rain. They all cross-bred and made the sweetest most beautiful reddish purple grape you ever tasted. The flesh was very sweet while the skins were quite tart. They were wonderful. We looked forward to their rich unique flavor with anticipation every Fall.
Best of luck with yours as well!

o

My grapes are not doing well, the new leaves look like they are burned. There has been alot of rain, maybe its too wet. It has been sunny for the past 5 days. I will check when I go back next weekend, if no new leaves, I will give the plants to someone without salty soil. Barbra

o

My grapes looked dead, I just left them in the ground. I started putting mulch around my potted plants, had some extra and put it around the grapes. Easter Sunday(my birthday) I saw they have new green leaves coming out. I think they are going to make it. What a nice suprise. Barbra

o

Many seedless grapes are subject to Pierce's Disease, spread by an insect called a sharpshooter. Texas A&M has a list on their site of grapes that are resistant. Others will eventually die in many cases.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gulf Coast Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here