Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
honeybunny2_gw

Does anyone grown Coral Bean plants?

honeybunny2 Fox
17 years ago

I went to the nursery yesterday, and the lady there suggested that I get the coral bean plants for Rockport, I did not know what these were, and bought some, but now, I am not so sure I did the right thing. Where would you plant these? Do they need a lot of room. Can I plant them in a 5 foot area? Would you plant them in full coastal sun? I wanted something that I can plant in front of the palm trees, or right next to them, so that it would add color, during the summer. What I read on the internet said they have thorns, but these 5 gallon plants do not have any thorns on the main stem, so I am confuses. Should I keep them or take them back?

Barbra,

Comments (15)

• ltcollins1949
    17 years ago

Barbra,

I have a coral bean plant in my back yard. It is right up next to the house just to the east. I think that I've shown it to you before. It gets pretty red flowers in the spring and bright red seed pods in the fall. The only bad thing is that it has sooty mildew on it all summer long. It is very pretty. In the future, don't bother buying one, since they grow all over in south Texas. Check out the fields in the spring. I cut mine back, but it should come back just as soon as it warms up. I'll give you all the beans you want to start plants.

A five foot area would do OK and they will do OK in partial to full sun. Yes, they have very mean thorns, but just don't plant them where Gary will run into them with the mover.

• greenelbows1
    17 years ago

Mine is in too much shade to do as well as it should (it was sunny when I planted it there--things keep growing!) but I really love it. Recently got a couple different kinds since I like that one so much. I think you'll get more flowers in more sun.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I think I will take them back, and get something else I want. Barbra,

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I took them back and got some gulfcoast penstemon tenuis, I was told they would do really well in Rockport, I can't wait to try them. Barbra,

• Jessiep
    17 years ago

Barbara why not try some Jacobina,they do well here and if given a half day sun they grow into large shrubs.I have had the pink for about 12 years,they root very easy.Jessie

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Jessie I think I will, now that I know how to start cuttings from the Jacobinia. You can really learn stuff on these forums. Thanks, Barbra,

• bossjim1
    17 years ago

Barbara, is there a secret to propagating Jacobinia?
    Jim

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Jim, I read that you need to take soft stem cuttings, leave at least 2 leaves on the plant, dip in root hormone, then plant it to the depth where two leaves have been removed. It is suppost to be very easy, I was going to try this weekend before we got all this freezing weather. I think I probably lost most of my tropical plants. Jim, the cuttings for my Angel trumphets were by the well house, in little red pots, I hope I did not loose them. I have the rootbeer plant covered at my house, so I know it is ok. Barbra,

• bossjim1
    17 years ago

Thanks for the information, Barbara. This freeze was a shocker! I haven't started cuttings yet.
    Jim

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sorry, I got my Jim's mixed up, I thought I was talking to Jim, in Aransas, he is coming by next week, to get come plants I have for him. I up up late last night, I had injections in my hand, and did not fill the vicidon, so I was up most of the night .Barbra,

• greenelbows1
    17 years ago

I wouldn't worry about the root beer plant--it's only the cold weather that keeps it from taking over the whole country. It may be frozen back, but it'll start right up when it gets warm again. The angel trumpets will be back too--I've had them for years, and even the year it got down to I think 9 officially the one I had then came back from the roots.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Greenlbows, can you tell me about the rootbeer plant, I just brought it last weekend, I was told it loved the coastal area, was very pretty and tropical looking. To plant it in semi-shade and not to let it dry out. Did I make a mistake buying it? Jim will love it if its invasive, but I do not want anything that will take over my gardens. Barbra,

• greenelbows1
    17 years ago

Barbra, are you lower (higher?) on the zone scale than I am, like maybe 9b instead of 9a? I yank mine back a little every so often, but it's pretty easy. Got it from someone who got rid of all of hers fairly soon after she gave me a piece because she had a limited space she wanted it in. Mine has a little more room. Comes out easily, and does freeze pretty easily. It had started back into growth but I'd bet it's down now. It is very tropical-looking and I kinda like it, but I have mixed feelings about it. Takes really heavy shade. That's certainly a plus. Come to think of it, I should plant it at the top of the coulee out back where the bank is slipping down and where it's really shady. It'd probably hold the bank.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Greenelbows, I think I am zone 9a? Not right on the water, but within 1000 ft. I have a sprinkler system, when its working. I have an area of shade where nothing else will grow, except african hosta, and Princess plant. I just need something with height for that area. Does it bloom? Barbra

• greenelbows1
    17 years ago

Barbra, I'm sorry I missed your question. Guess I forgot to check! It blooms, but not so you'd really notice unless you looked close if I remember. Little fingers of green things kinda like on Boehmeria, if you have that (another tough shade lover.) Certainly not something that would be a selling point.