Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jessiep_gw

Cutting back old stuff

Jessiep
17 years ago

I have been out cutting back everything that I can.That means that I am saying my prayers that a freeze does not come our way It has been so beautiful out that you just cannot stay in and clean house.Also moved a couple of things and pulled a few weeds.Will go to the nursery tomorrow and see what is new in town this year and that I fall in love with.Jessie

Comments (8)

• honeybunny2 Fox
    17 years ago

Jessie, I know what you mean, Saturday I took 6 plumeria that were sleeping in the garage, and planted them outside. This next weekend I hope to take more outside and also take out the desert roses. I hope I will have some extra time to start cutting back plants, but I always run out of time when we go down to Rockport, you can only do so much in one day. I just can't wait until spring.
    Barbra,

• natal
    17 years ago

Same here, Jessie. We've had some absolutely gorgeous days recently and no way I could stay inside and ignore the golden opportunity. Have just about everything cut back and a lot of weeds pulled. Now I can start moving a few things around, then go nursery hopping ... my favorite kind of shopping!!!

• jeep461
    17 years ago

Barbara enjoyed the visit. Thanks for the plants. You sure have a green thumb. Maybe I could paint mine. I went to get some more mulch and found some more cuttings. I guess I am just a sucker for rooting plants. I found some more sea grapes and while getting a few found Hybiscus and some type of furry looking green plant/ vine?. I have some cuttings of Hybiscus rooting and growing righ now. So I guess I can do it.

I used to think you had to get seeds or buy from a nursery. This rooting of chopped up plants is a lot of fun. I figured out the rooting secret on Banyans. They will only root where the trunk sees sunshine. I stuck some 2 and 3 inch 5 feet tall pieces in some water and changed daily. It was only putting out nubbies where it was at the top of water line. Found a solution and now we will have roots where they belong. An instant tree. LOL

We hit close to 80 today. I sure hope we do not go directly from winter to summer. I do like the spring temps. I am planting like crazy. My sheep do the chopping. I just had twins again Saturday night.

Jim

• greenelbows1
    17 years ago

Temps here supposed to be 33 tomorrow night. Ridiculous! Hope everyone's tender plants--including mine!--will be okay. Hope that's the end of it--and I couldn't agree more about enjoying spring and hoping we don't dive directly into summer.

• jeep461
    17 years ago

Hang on this year will be a wild ride on the weather. Our climate seems to be changing. Effects of global warming? Our weather has broken several records for cold this year. That is no indication we will will not break records for the high temps this summer.

I am toast if we freeze again. All of mine is in the ground or too big to move. I know San Antonio, Austin and Dallas are having fits over the freezes. I feel like a little kid with a wagon in and out with the Plumeria.

Jim

• honeybunny2 Fox
    17 years ago

I spend all day yesterday, replanting plumeria and desert roses, that I had dug up in November, to store in our garage for the winter. Barbra

• greenelbows1
    17 years ago

I read several years ago that 'global warming' means more than just hot summers, it means lower lows and more storms. Look at all the tornadoes lately. I won't say 'hurricanes' out loud. Guess all we can do is what we can, and not waste energy worrying about what we can't control. Seems like the 'natural order' or whatever seems to be doing what 'it' can too--I always pull lots of tree seedling, but this year the number of oaks, and pines, and hackberries, and various other trees, seems to be many times previous years. Trees absorb those greenhouse gases. Plant more trees! (if you have room!)

• jeep461
    17 years ago

The weather is cruel. Wow, we are under a freeze warning this one really snuck up. I had no idea. I had looked at the weather earlier today online. Our average last freeze day is feb 3. I spent all day planting some smaller stuff and my 2 birds of paradise.

We are on the edge. Not much I can do about it. I guess I could set sprinklers to cycle through every 5 min. on each station for 3 hours. But too much water this time of year is almost as bad. It is 50 right now. Hmmmm

Hope it does not freeze Barbara. I know how much care you put into your plants.

Jim

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm