Return to the Gulf Coast Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
creeping vine for external brick chimney

Posted by evelyn1422 9 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 18, 12 at 15:49

I need to enhance the front of my house, specifically the brick chimney. The pictures I have seen of creeping fig ivy suggest that it is difficult to control and needs biannual shaping and grooming. What other vines might possibly work, flowering or otherwise and would climb up 20-25 feet or so? There is also partial shade and the house faces west. Thanks for your input.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: creeping vine for external brick chimney

What about Climbing hydrangea? It holds onto brick all by itself. What about a climbing rose like New Dawn. You would have to put some kind of wire guides on the brick I think. The Antique Rose Emporium (find them online) can give good suggestions on cl. roses.

o

Thanks so much louisianagal--I appreciate your help. Don't think I have enough sun for roses, but I will look up the hydrangeas.

o

• Posted by jcalhoun 8b Mobile County AL (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 8, 12 at 17:53

How about coral honeysuckle? It's evergreen and hummingbirds like them.

o

If you do not have full sun, What about one of the many types of ivy? Also if it can grow 25-30 feet the creeping fig can be beautiful. Once or twice a year pruning is not much care.

James in Florida

o

If the partial shade is due to trees on your property, you can thin-out the canopy very slightly and let in a lot more light. The trade-off is you might save money by stopping some of that blasting evening sun from hitting your house.

The little ficus you mentioned doesn't require a lot of pruning compared to most climbers that I'm aware of. And, it holds on tenaciously! We have many beautiful old New Orleans homes utilizing that great little plant and I love every one I see.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gulf Coast Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here