Return to the Gulf Coast Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Encore Azaleas, any luck?

Posted by red9279 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 18, 09 at 15:57

Has anyone had any luck with the Encore Azalea? I live south of Hoston about 30 miles from the coast. I have bought several and every single one of them died after just a few months! What am I doing wrong? I put them in sun they die, shade, they die, part sun, they die, morning sun they die! I just don't get it. I like azaleas and was just wanting some that would bloom more often but can't keep these alive long enough to see them bloom twice!

So has anyone had any luck and what did you do? plant right away, watering, feeding, anything will help. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Encore Azaleas, any luck?

Plant a little high with lots of organic material in afternoon shade. Make sure soil is acidic.

o
RE: Encore Azaleas, any luck?

I planted mine last year at the worst possible time, at the beginning of summer when plants were being marked down. They looked rough until this spring, of course, and one isn't doing as well as the other. Lots of new growth on one, but the other is stuggling a little.

I planted mine high, as don licuala suggested and added lots of compost then and this spring. Mulched really well with chopped leaves. Mine do get a lot of sun, until very late in the afternoon. It's probably too much, but I hate to move them now. I don't really fertilize much for any of my plants, maybe twice a year. I'm a lazy gardener :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gulf Coast Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here