Return to the Gulf Coast Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Clumping Bamboo

Posted by gulfportgardener MS Z8b (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 25, 07 at 16:16

I need Clumping Bamboo.I think I have settled on the Alphone Karr variety but the prices online are HIGH and I need about 50 plants! Anyone know of any nurseries within an hour or two's drive of the MS gulf coast that sells clumping bamboo? I hate to plant regular bamboo(tho I love it) as it tends to make enemies out of neighbors, but I have GOT to put up somekind of barrier in this backyard!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Clumping Bamboo

Check out The Bamboo Company in Franklinton, LA.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Bamboo Company

o

Thanks for the site Natal. This place is pretty close to me and I've been thinking of clumping bamboo to block out the Highway in front of us. Looks like it would be fun to just go tour the place to get information.

o

Here is another place. Don't know if they are closer or not, but I've seen them during Garden show at the colliseum before the storm.

In any case, if you go to either one of the places, post about it. I've been looking for less common bamboos too (lost bunch of trees during the storm :-( )

Here is a link that might be useful: Bamboo Plantation

o

Surprisingly, Seeds for Bambusa can be found online. Some of them relatively cheap.
I picked up some Bambusa arundinacea but it hasn't germinated yet so I can't attest to the quality.

o

There used to be a bamboo place in Brookhaven. I've purchased the black one from them and also a lacy-leafed clumping that makes a beautiful privacy shrub. It's full and soft, unlike the typical bamboo. A closer look at the leaf reveales a curly frond-like look. Always try Glenda and Red's plants and things in the Bay for unsual stuff. Hwy. 603 off of 10. Easy to miss, on right hand side as you go towards 90, if you pass a pool place on the right you've gone too far.

o

I have several types of running bamboo that I would be glad to share this fall. I don't have any clumping ones though.Mine are the very rampant and invasive types that might upset your neighbors.
See some of my bamboo pictures on my blog link below.
Jon on 8-7-07

Here is a link that might be useful: Mississippi Garden

o

• Posted by patris 9 Gulf Coast (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 27, 07 at 14:21

Hi all, I have bought from the Bamboo Plantation and they have beautiful plants and all the help you could need. Will answer all your questions and tell you what is best planted where. Prices are very good too!
Patris

o

jonpen,

Your gardens are amazing! Thanks for the link, I enjoyed viewing all the photos.

I bought my bamboo from a company in Florida and have been happy so far. I've only had it in the ground about 6 months but it is doing well. They only sell clumpers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tropical Bamboo

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gulf Coast Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here