Return to the Gulf Coast Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Zone 8 Hydrangea

Posted by mlafentres none (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 13, 14 at 19:02

Hi all, I was wondering what people recommended for a ever blooming Hydrangea in Zone 8 near New Orleans.

Also, any thoughts on planting location would be great help too. My house faces West and that side is dominated by a Magnolia.
The East has some space but it is my back yard and gets full sun.
The North is full shade 100% because of the two story next door.
The South side also faces a street because it is a corner lot and has a sun / shade mix.

I got some great feedback from the Newbie forum, one of which was to check with folks here.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Zone 8 Hydrangea

They will grow in sun or shade when you plant give the plant a good drink and it should do well we the flowers die remove and a second show should come along don't know what color it is but rusty water will change the color.

o

Oh my there are so many hydrangeas now. There is actually a hydrangea forum, so they should know. I grow Lady in Red in the shade, Limelight in the sun, and Oakleaf hydrangea in shade. I think the Endless Summer ones are good but there seems to be a new variety each day.

o

Definitely go with an Endless Summer cultivar, they seem to do a little better with our heat. I transplanted mine to the north side of my house juuuuuust at the edge of where the sun peeks over the building, and they LOVE it. I advise the same. I also transplanted a little one that someone had planted under a bush (what the...??) beneath my oak tree's outer reaches, so it gets dappled shade. It has taken off like crazy, loves that location. That one is a Glowing Ember or something like that, stays smaller.

For your described situation, I might suggest putting one either at the sun/shade line on the north side or beneath the shade on the south side. See what that gets you, and don't spend more than $20 on each plant, in case they don't work out.

bon chance!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gulf Coast Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here