Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heidiho_gw

Need a blue flowering summer vine

heidiho
12 years ago

I have a homemade arbor type trellis and need advice on flowering vines to put around it.

Would like something blue/purple.

Thought of morning glory's but I would like to have flowers all day instead of just morning.

It's in full sun and the summers are long and hot and sometimes very dry down here in south Louisiana.

Thanks for your time and have a nice day.

It's in full sun.

Comments (12)

• honeybunny2 Fox
    12 years ago

I would recommend the blue pea vine, its has beautiful blue flowers. I have mine in afternoon sun, my friend Billy has hers in shade. Since we did not have a freeze, mine is still alive. It does reseed, so you will always have new plants. Barbra

• natal
    12 years ago

Honey, I suggested the same vine to Heidi on the LA/MS forum. Someone mentioned it on another forum last year. How much does it reseed? Is it as bad as cypress vine?

• piksi_hk
    12 years ago

I've had clitoria grown for several years; and they do reseed so be careful. I don't believe they are as bad as red cypress vine which I had...I try to deadhead before they set seeds.
    If you need seeds, I have some.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    12 years ago

I've had no problem at all, its not invasive. I actually pull the seed pods, open then sow the seeds. Its nothing like that mexican petunia plant. I really do like this plant, and strongly recommend it to other gulf coast gardeners. This is the first year mine did not freeze. I can't wait to see what happens this year. You will love the color. Barbra

• heidiho
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Would love to have clitoria seeds if you have extra ones.
    Check your e-mail for my address and additional info.
    Thanks.

• natal
    12 years ago

I think I might look for seeds and give it a try this year. Do butterflies use it?

• honeybunny2 Fox
    12 years ago

I did not know the answer to your question, so I went to Daves Garden Web,looked under plant file for the clitoria. Plants are atrractive to bees, butterflies, and birds. There were 16 positive coments, 3 netural, and 0 negative. It is also known as Butterfly Pea Vine. It said to soak the seeds overnight before planting and you should have a 100% success rate. I did not kknow this before. Barbra

• natal
    12 years ago

Thanks Honey! I ordered some seeds from someone on Etsy.

• wally_1936
    12 years ago

I do not know the amount of sun you get on your trellis but I have seen a beautiful baby blue climbing rose that reached 10 to 20 feet on a chain link fence in East Columbia Texas years ago.

• natal
    12 years ago

Anyone know how long it takes for blue pea vine seeds to germinate? I soaked them for a few hours, then sowed directly in the garden almost 2 weeks ago. No sign of growth yet.

• User
    12 years ago

i just planted a "Cobaea scandens" monastery bells vine. I've never grown it but I've seen nice pictures. Its supposed to hardy to Zone 9.

Here is a link that might be useful: monastery bells

• jamesmaloy
    12 years ago

A nice perennial vine is Blue sky vine, A thunbergia, I don't know the second part. It get really large blooms late summer until frost Mine died all the way to ground and comes back like gangbusters in North Florida.

James in Florida

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES