Return to the Gulf Coast Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
That lush, 'full' look to a garden

Posted by ann_in_houston z9 Houston (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 26, 08 at 23:52

Once you start to have some success with bushes and plants and all, how do you add things without invading or damaging the other plants you already have. All the advice is to dig a wide hole, but I don't see how you can. So many have posted pics of beautiful, 'crowded' beds. How do you do that?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: That lush, 'full' look to a garden

Sometimes it happens by accident. People miscalculate the mature size of their plants when they're small.

o

Sometimes it's a matter of luck I think, like when I planted a dark sweet potato vine that wandered around among several other plants and tied them all together. Sometimes I actually do it with some 'malice aforethought', knowing that this cute little thing will spread out and make a larger plant, and then put bulbs in where they'll have room to spread, and it doesn't take very many things like some salvias to fill space fast.

o

I think the lush look can be very nice but is often only temporary. It seems to be a product of serendipity. Enjoy it while it lasts but after some time passes, the owner is often left with a nightmare to maintain. If you do strive for this, it is best to "over-plant" with plants that are easy to pull up IMO, some have been mentioned above.

I prefer the zen look that actually allows bare mulch to show thru in spots. Seems to add an element of tranquility that the "lush" gardens lack IMO. Though I also like to view the "lush" gardens when they are at their peak, I just don't want to think about the maintenance when they start losing their luster. Each to his own.

o

If you have weeds you don't have enough plants. I often dig a small hole & stuff plants in spots. If a weed can grow there so can a plant. Then if they get out of hand I just dig out what I don't want.
Tally HO!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gulf Coast Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here