Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeep461

Sun or shade or partial sun where to plant

jeep461
17 years ago

I just bought a bunch of old and hybrid daylilys and it seemed I needed some more color. So for good measure I bought some of the following. I have grown the following in San Antonio but have never tried them on the coast. Should they all get morning sun and afternoon shade? Any help will be appreciated. I did buy 90 daylilies so these will be in different areas. They all will be planted in sprinkler zones do they need independent heads or will the coverage of the rotating heads be adequate?

Snowball-Doublefile (Viburnum)

Dwf Burning Bush Shrub (Euonymus)

Daylily, Hybrid (mixed colors)

Old Fashion Daylily(Hemerocallis fulva)

Red Rose of Sharon Althea Shrub (Hibiscus)

Forsythia Shrub (Lynwood Gold)

Jap. Red Flowering Quince Shrub (Chaenomeles)

White Rose of Sharon Shrub (Hibiscus Althea)

Blue Rug Junipers 'Wiltonii'

Red Leaf Barberry Shrub/Hedge

Purple Nanho BUTTERFLY BUSH, Buddleia

Jim

Comments (10)

• greenelbows1
    17 years ago

Let's see--where to start. Daylilies will take full or or part shade, and I think as long as they get water when it's dry they shouldn't need their own emitter. One thing I think often gets missed about daylilies and it's quite important. The general catalogs and garden centers are always saying 'z3-9'. Well, it's true that daylilies will grow in all those zones, but not all daylilies in all zones. I grew them in Nebraska before I moved here to south Louisiana (not quite the coast, but the next storm it will be!) and I can testify from personal experience. The ones up there were almost all dormant, meaning they lose their foliage in the winter. Ones that do best here are semi-evergreen and evergreen. People get really disappointed when they buy, for instance, Stella d'Oro, and get two or three blooms at a time. Up north she blooms so much more you'd hardly believe it was the same plant.
    My purple nanho butterfly bush died, very slowly, over three or four years. I don't know why.
    I was advised not to grow barberry, which did well in Nebraska, as it needs more chill hours I think (not sure if that was why.) Same I think with the Chaenomeles, the Forsythia, and possibly the Euonymus. Always see if you can find a listing that says not just 'hardy to z6' or whatever, but 'hardy z6-9'. I check a lot of things on the websites of Yucca Do Nursery and Plant Delights Nursery, as I think they do more research about what will take our heat and humidity.

• jeep461
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I did break my code of buying only invasive/ adapted plants for this area. I did some Burgandy rubber tree and really liked the color it added. So I went wholesale and bought some possibly unadapted plants out of Tennessee. I did check out requirements and have grown them in San Antonio. But the coast is quite different. I was thinkng that morning sun and afternoon filtered shade/sun.

I have seen Rose of Sharon, Forsythia, Burning Bush, and the Old Fashion Daylily ( orange) growing well down here. I did buy some well adapted plants also like trumpet creepers, honeysuckle, Chinese Privet, and crept myrtles. I went back into the TAM data base for plants and shrubs for south Texas and drought tolerant. They all are listed. The coast is a funny place to try to grow anything. Plants that grow 30-40 miles inland will not grow near the coast. I do have plenty of filterd shade from my oak trees with morning sun. I was just checking to see if any really required full sun. It is brutal in the summer. It looks as if they all will grow in full or partial shade.

I hope they all survive and grow. these are some real colorful plants.

Jim

• beachplant
    17 years ago

I have daylilies in full and some in part-sun, they do equally well. Greene is right, they do much better inland or up north, even just 15 miles inland the daylilies are huge while mine are small and bloom a lot less.

Rose of Sharon, full sun, I wouldn't bother to give it it's own sprinkler, I rarely if ever give mine any water and they grow great.

Trumpet creeper and honeysuckle will take over if given half a chance, definately don't give them their own water source. The trumpet creeper will pop up MILES from where it was planted. It's not as big a pest on the coast as it is inland.

Crape myrtles will take full sun and full salt spray and do just fine. Again, water to get established then ignore them.

Butterfly bush really requires a lot of water here & isn't too salt tolerant. I gave up on them. Plant lantana instead, the butterflies love it, it is heat and humidity tolerant and blooms a couple of times a year. Looks funky in the middle of summer & spreads.

Forsythia doesn't like our heat and humidity. I know, I know, it's hot in the North, but it ain't 103 degrees at 3 am either like it is on the coast. We don't cool off much at night and that seems to get a lot of plants.
    Don't know anyone that grows Quince on the coast.

By the same token I can grow tons of stuff my friends on the mainland can't. Like bananas, gingers, tacca, more tropical vines, bromeliads, orchids, I almost never bring anything in-just some things in pots on the back deck-the wind gets them.
    I'm in Galveston, about 6 blocks from the beach.
    Tally Ho!

• honeybunny2 Fox
    17 years ago

Jim, did you get the evergreen semi-evergreen or the dormant dayliles? Did you buy them from one source? I got a great catalog from Gilbert Wild last week, he had very good prices, on his half price sale in the middle of his catalog. I decided that I would save my money for Maryott's, since I had such good luck with them, that is if they ever list their 2007 prices. You need to plant pink, peach, yellow and orange dayliles in full sun. Dark purple or red in semi-sun. Mine get sprinkled every other day. I put cow manure on my plants when I plant them, and add some to each plant during the growing season.
    Barbra,

• jeep461
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Beachplant and Barbara, thanks for the info. Knowledge overcomes effort. I guess some might not make it. That is ok, I just want to give them a fighting chance. I am not sure what type they are but their name is Hemerocallis fulva, believe from doing a little reading they are evergreen. The Hybrids are Hemerocallis.

roadsde daylillies

Hybrids

At least I know who can take the sun. It is a killer if you get it wrong. I would not want to be out in it all day. Forsythia and Butterfly bush are so pretty, maybe they will make it. I live back from the water now about 2 1/2 miles. I just went on a buying spree with cheap prices. I have purchase from this wholesaler before and everthing is growing very well.

The wind is doing a number on my plants. I hope they adapt. We had a freeze line come within 200 yards of my house. How weird is that. My house was ok but driving to work as I went downhill on my street about 200 yards. There was frost over entire acres of yards. It did not even nip a single plant. Thank you lord.

I am getting ready to plant 50 lbs of Bahia Grass for the sheep. I ran irrigation last Sunday and will put sprinkler heads on this weekend. Poor fellers, they are upset I swiped a 100 x 100 area from them. They are pretty smart. They would graze certain areas at certain time of the day and select what they wanted. Kind of like a buffet. They were managing their food source. Another nice acre of Bahia will make them happy.

Thanks for the info. I do need all the help I can get. Remember I just startd back into gardening last November. I have gone from no plants to who knows how many. The eater and all of my other exotic/invasive roses received a special place, tree and fence line to grow on. I am growing Fortuniana rose for rootstock.

Jim

• beachplant
    17 years ago

Jim, I plant lots of stuff that shouldn't make it here, some does, some doesn't. If it's cheap I rationalize, well, it was cheap, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Keep us up to date on how it's going.
    Tally HO!

• alabamatreehugger 8b SW Alabama
    17 years ago

Consider these:
    Oleander
    Rusty Blackhaw
    Confederate Rose
    Wax Myrtle
    Yaupon Holly
    Carolina Cherry Laurel?

You may live to regret planting Chinese Privet, it's my #1 pest here.

• greenelbows1
    17 years ago

I agree with the idea that it's well worth some experimenting, especially if it's cheap! Some things that shouldn't make it do, and others that should don't, for me as well. And gardening friends that live within just a few miles can't grow some of the things I do, and vice versa. The longer I garden the less I know!

• jeep461
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I do know how to kill a plant down here. When I lived on the water. I killed everything including my big screen TV. Seems circuit boards rust when you open the windows. Go figure. I cannot grow mexican sage or bottle brush or candle stick plants and my neighbor can. His are wild. I know I can grow lantana because I cut it down with the mower. The gophers found my brugs. Lets see if they take anymore. I do believe they went away.

I bought some more plumeria real cheap today from Houston. Four large plants deliverd for $82.00. Had to block those popups.

alabamatreehugger Rusty Blackhaw,Yaupon Holly, and Carolina Cherry Laurel I do not have but will look into then. My Theme is fragrant or very colorful. I do have a few hundred oaks and Bay trees as natives. I do feel as if I am planted out. But that can change any given day. LOL.

I might have a jungle here until the heat hits and it will cull the weak and unadapted real fast. You can almost watch them melt.

Jim

• jeep461
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I was planting some Confederate roses and some Brugmansia. I was trying to select the appropriate site. I have located a few. I was after morning sun and afternoon shade. I kind of guessed. It seems that where the bermuda meets the carpet grass is the appropriate line. Any ideas on this? It is kind of hard to move them if I make a mistake. I have watched the sun and tree shadows for a few months but it is totally different in the summer. I planted in that spot also because 2 rotating sprinkler heads converge on that area also.

Sponsored
2 Navy Lane, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Interior Designer