Return to the Gulf Coast Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is the best variety of kale for FL Panhandle coast?

Posted by sherilou_2010 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 13, 10 at 9:16

What is the best variety of kale to grow around the Mexico Beach area of the Florida Panhandle? Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is the best variety of kale for FL Panhandle coast?

I planted the Dwarf Blue Curled the last couple years. It's done well, bought the seed at the Dollar Store.

o

Thank you for the response! It's good to know that the cold weather varieties of kale do well in a warmer climate, too. Does your Dwarf Blue Curled Kale last all winter?

o

I planted the seed in October and it grows all winter. This winter was colder than normal and it didn't grow much during January and February. Now that it has warmed up it is growing great. I am in SW La.

o

Hi! We really enjoyed our Russian Red Kale last fall and winter, and we'll be planting it again this fall. It is beautiful in the garden, and the most sweet and tender kale we have grown. It produced throughout the cold season, and we were even able to save seed from it. What we didn't eat, our chickens enjoyed. For more information, please visit us at http://www.cowlickcottagefarm.com, where we blog with joy about our garden.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cowlick Cottage Farm

o

Beautiful website... great job! I agree, Red Russian Kale is an incredibly tasty heirloom kale that is super-easy to grow.

o

I second the Red Russian. I had great luck with it for years here in SW Florida. I haven't managed to find seed for it the last few years and I miss it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gulf Coast Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here